NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 67 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #991
Tourist

sorry bout that,

I though i posted into the Final Cut Pro thread. But I am working with Final Cut 4 ion a Power Mac G4.
Todd Szuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #992
Warden

Your program should start at 00:00:00;00 and the end time will be the total run time (TRT). You might have a break in timecode or the program didn't start at 00.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #993
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Perhaps you have a leader of bars, countdown or black?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #994
Regular Crew

TC calculator - Time Master II

I just ordered one of these, never knew anything like this existed... I usually just use a pencil and paper but this just looked like a gadget I had to have.

http://www.calculated.com/products/9226.html?specialty

I guess the only thing I will save is a little time and some paper but I thought i would put this link out here incase anyone else thinks it may help them.
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #995
Warden

There is also software that does TC calculations. It can be downloaded at Version Tracker.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #996
Regular Crew

Anyone received a DP G5 Yet?

Just wanted to know if anyone has bought and/or played with the Dual G5 yet? If so, how do you like it? How is FCP 4 taking to it? Run across any problems yet? Or have any advice for a buying a dual G5.

Any comments or advice will help. I'm looking to buy one soon, well, as soon as they start stocking up.

Thanks
Matt Concialdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #997
Tourist

DVCAM and Timecode

OK now, i just purchased a Sony DVCAM DSR-11 and have it hooked up to my Power Mac G4, running final cut pro 4. The reason for purchasing this deck is so it can take the timecode from my Final Cut. When i have it set that way, and i try to print to tape, the timecode doest seem to carry over. actually the timecode in the tape stays at 00:00:00;00 the whole way through. Is there a setting that i missed in my final cut? i talked to sony and they say that i have to set final cut to export timecode through the firewire. But it seems the only way to set it that way is in PAL format? i must be doing something wrong. Please help! I:M LOST! lol

thanks in advance,
Todd
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #998
Inner Circle

I'm not sure if you deck will do this, but you should be able to stripe it with timecode (i.e. start at 00:59:00;00) and then do an insert edit so that your program starts at 01:00:00;00.

I don't believe that the timecode you want is sent down firewire.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #999
Inner Circle

If you're buying one get 3rd party RAM, it's about half the price. Crucial and Kingston PC3200 RAM should work (need to buy them in pairs; matched pairs would be preferred). crucial.com, prciewatch.com, newegg.com would be places to start.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #1000
Tourist

yes, when i purchased the deck the guy did explain that timecode will be transfered through the firewire. So thats what should happen. You can also set the deck to take External timecode. Its one of the functions.
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #1001
Major Player

Dual 1.25GHz G4 vs Single 1.6GHz G5?

Well, the title says it all. They both cost about the same, and I don't need Firewire 800 or USB2. I also have no use for OS9. I'd be using this computer to edit one feature-length MiniDV movie using Final Cut Pro 4.

The real question is which machine will handle FCP4 better: dual G4s or a single G5? Now that benchmarks are starting to come out, maybe somebody can chime in.

Of course, I'd fill either one up with RAM, but I can't afford the 4GB RAM max of the G5, so the 2GB limit of the G4 is fine. Also, there is something to be said for the proven stability of the G4 vs the unproven potential quirkiness of the G5.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #1002
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jaime,
I would choose the G5 for its longevity and potential future residual value. The G5 is clearly going to be Apple's target platform for the foreseeable future. The professional products such as FCP and DVD SP will soon be optimized specifically to take advantage of the G5's new capabilities.

Ignore performance benchmarks against current configurations. They're irrelevant, noisy distractions for the myopic buyer. The G5 single processor will more than keep you busy and happy.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:05 PM   #1003
Warden

If you are just doing the one project and you are starting now, then I'd get the G4. However, Panther (OS 10.3) is due in a month or so. The G5's will start to fly when Panther is released. Apple had to come up with a temporary OS (10.2.7) only for the G5's. That's why they are a little less stable. They are really optimized for Panther. If your project doesn't start for several months, get the G5.

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1004
Warden

Check the menus for timecode. You may have to set it for FireWire. Some TC is through an external connection, some is on the vertical interval. It should be in the manual.

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #1005
Warden

Duals aren't shipping yet. I've heard a rumor they may wait until Panther ships.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite