Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 1st, 2003, 07:43 PM   #1111
Regular Crew

Need Advice on teaching video editing

Hello everyone:
I am needing some input from those of you who teach video editing, particularly to beginner/intermediate learners.
I am pursuing a part-time teaching position in which I would be teaching the basics of editing video using the Apple I-movie software. (the target audience is ages 13 - adult) I would be very interested in learning how some of you plan your syllabus / lessons.

Thanks a lot
Jean King
Jean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:38 PM   #1112
Regular Crew

your email?

I have a long reply that is probably better sent via an email. your email address did not resolve properly. if you'd like to send me your email I'll send the information along to you. kuenzli@gci.net
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:54 AM   #1113
Warden

Please post your comments publicly also. The whole idea of the community is that all can share in the knowledge of the group. If answers are provided privately, the other members can not benefit.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:55 PM   #1114
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

MacCentral: NBC's Scrubs adopts an all Apple solution

It looks like Charles' alma mater is moving into the Mac world for their post work. (See the article.)

I think Charles noted something to this effect a few months back.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:33 PM   #1115
Wrangler

Yup. I visited the editors a few weeks back, they are loving life. They were editing on Avids before at fairly high levels of compression, so having DV quality images (the Super 16mm footage is telecined to HD on a Spirit/DaVinci, then downcoverted to DVCam for the offline and Digibeta for the final assembly) is a big plus for them and the executive producer. And being able to take the work home on their 17" Powerbooks is putting big smiles on their faces. It's going to be interesting to see as things develop, whether they will be able to do the onlines inhouse as well as color correction and effects work on Shake.

It was a little strange watching tonight's season opener episode, the first "Scrubs" I had nothing to do with...! My successor, Rich Davis, is doing a great job in my stead.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 09:55 PM   #1116

Do I need to buy a DVI adaptor for a G5 and a non-Apple LCD?

I wansn't sure if what I need comes with the G5, or if I will need
to buy the $100 adaptor in order to attach a non-apple DVI-D LCD display?

Thanks "Guys",

Dan
Old October 3rd, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1117
Regular Crew

Converting/Downconverting/telecine?

Hello Charles. I am familiar with conversions and telecine but how are all of these extra steps of video conversion efficient other than portability in a laptop. Why aren't you working on Scrubs anymore?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #1118
Regular Crew

i dont believe so
the adc adaptor is for powerbooks and older macs using vga

i think..
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 02:05 AM   #1119
Warden

The video cards have two monitor connections, one ADC and one DVI. You may purchase adapter to convert DVI to ADC and vice versa. There is also support for mirroring and dual monitors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #1120
Major Player

HOW DO I BURN THE dvd-r?

I have DVD Studio Pro 1, fpc 3 and a g-4 with kona card.

i can build and watch the story, but everytime i burn it says not permitted after i burn it.

i am dragging video ts and audio ts to the blank DVD on desktop and then clicking burn disc in finder.

the users manuel is not real clear on this crucial last step, or most likely, its just me.

this is getting expensive!!!!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #1121
Regular Crew

You will have to choose build & format from dvdsp 1 to write a dvd-video which dragging those folders and clicking burn is not.

If your drive isn't supported you'll need to use Toast Titanium or something. In Toast Ti 5 you'll need to select other > dvd to write a dvd-video and not a dvd data disc.

Becareful though as dvdsp 1 is pretty buggy. Also get a dvd-rw & toast if you want to save a lot of money on those coasters....

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #1122

thanks guys
Old October 4th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #1123
Wrangler

Hi James:

They haven't added any steps--they used to have the Digi-Beta master, a Beta dub made for input into the Avid, and a 3/4" made for dailies dubbing, which was done in house and distributed on VHS (I think about 20 copies went out to the various personnel that needed to see dailies). Now they've kep the Digi-beta, switched to DVCam for FCP and the post house makes DVD's of the dailies, so they've saved themselves that step in house.

Again, their goal is to eventually combine the offline and online process by doing most or all of it in house.

I left the show because I've been getting more feature work, and I am moving on from operating to directing. In the meantime I've been dayplaying on other shows as they come up. I loved working on "Scrubs" but episodic television is a grind; 7 months of 13 hour days takes it's toll and I needed to move on.
Old October 5th, 2003, 05:25 AM   #1124
RED Code Chef

Apple has a page here

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1125
Regular Crew

how can I reduce the file size?

I'm desperate
tomorrow I have to bring everyhting to the negative cutter, and I cannot create a quicktime-file because it seems to be too big for the Mac: after 4.95 Gbyte it stopps to convert. The play is 30' so I do need maybe additiona 20% of memory space.

I tried to reduce the quality, the audio (till the horror of 24k, 8bit mono), the resolution 400*300, but the size changes only +/- 5%.

Somebody has an idea?

I'm still using the FCP3 as I didn't want to change during a ongoing project.
Thanks
Istvan
RED #1161
Istvan Toth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite