NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 7th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #106
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Firewire drives on are virtually essential for video work, and do very well. I have several, most from WiebeTech but also an 80 Gb Maxtor. Look for 5400rpm minimum rotational speeds, wih 7200rpm being preferred, and the best onboard cache you can get. I also look for bus-powered drives which take all of their power from the Firewire bus.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #107
Wrangler

I use several firewire drives, including a 7200 RPM Maxtor 80 GB. It works fine under MacOS 9 with Final Cut Pro. I had some problems awhile back using a 120 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM drive, but only when running Final Cut Pro under MacOS X. It worked fine under MacOS 9. I don't have problems when daisy chaining several of them together but haven't tried using a hub.

Sorry, no experience with these on a PC. with the software you mention.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:08 AM   #108
Major Player

iMovie2 Blur

I was wondering if any one else has experienced this situation. I firewire a tape into iMovie2, creating the clips, save the project and quit the program( by the way, at this point all clips look perfect).
If I open iMovie2 and look at the clips about 10 % look like a tv screen that's blurred, snow , fuzz etc.
When I click the clip, on the shelf, it looks perfect when I play the clip from the shelf, it looks perfect.
Now eventhough it has this fuzzy look when sitting there, I never see the fuzz otherwise.

Any suggestions????

I have anXL-1, G-4 450DP , 512 ram, 210 gigs

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #109
Raymond van der Kaaij

FCP3 on G4 450DP??

One of our editing suites is a G4 450DP with 1Gh RAM and (still) running on OS9. We want to upgrade to FCP3. Can anyone give us any advice on whether this will result in a stable system, will FCP3 run smooth, should we install OSX to use FCP3 (especially since we're considering buying a RTMAC, which still doesnt run on OSX)?
What would be the best configuration to consider???
Old February 8th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #110
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Raymond!

I think that FCP3 will run fine on your G4 450DP, although certainly not at zippy as it would on later systems. I believe that my colleague, Jeff Donald, remarked that he uses that G4 450DP with no trouble.

Forget the RTMac. Speaking as someone who has an RTMac in a box, I say save your money. For all practical purposes it seems to be an abandoned product. Matrox has promised OS-X compatibility for a year and a half. Nothing. Subsequent versions of FCP promise to expand real-time processing anyway.

Re: moving to OS-X, I highly recommend it. Although FCP3 will operate smoothly on either OS-9 or OS-X, the latter is the more stable platform and, to be sure, the sole Mac platform prospectively. It's rumored the FCP4 will likely only run on OS-X so you might as well make the investment in time now.

Welcome, again, to the DVInfo Community Raymond!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #111
Major Player

I currently run FCP3.0.4 on a Dual500 under OSX 10.2.3 and since our systems are similar (I even have a gig of RAM) I can vouch for it being reletively painless. It is also much more stable and snappy than FCP2 or 3 on OS9.
I also agree to save your money on the Matrox card, my office had 3 of them and they were useless after the upgrade to 3. If you need the analog input buy a media converter.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #112
Warden

I do use a Dual 450 as my personal editing system. It is extremely stable on FCP 3.0.4 and Quicktime 6.1. The RTMAC is a waste. Beta versions of the drivers for OS X were to have been shown at DV Expo NYC in January. Anyone know if they were shown? I have upgraded the video card in the AGP slot and maxed out the Ram at 2 gigs. I would also upgrade the stock hard drive to 120 gig 7200 rpm. There are several options for upgrading the processors if you want.

You really need to reflect on the types of work you need to do with this new system. When FCP 4 is introduced, this system will not be able to take advantage of all the features FCP has to offer. Apple will probably introduce new IBM processors this fall. G4's will become G5's, or whatever, and the dual 450 will be over 3 years old at that point. It will be a workable system until then.

Me? Well I'm waiting for the new processors, then it'll be time to replace this system.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #113
Major Player

were do they look fuzzy at? In the viewer window?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #114
Major Player

Hi Bob,
They appear in the shelf, timeline and clip viewer.I t appears in frame 1 or 2 of the clip and if it is removed, may or may not show up in that clip or even a new one. The odd part of it is that if you click on the clip (fuzzy) and hit the play arrow, it plays cearly from frame one till the end of the clip.
it doesn't damage the clip at all. If you click on the timeline tab with let's say 3 fuzzy clips, they all play perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #115
Regular Crew

i'm using FCP 3 on 10.2.3 on a single G4/500 and its quite stable and seems fast enough most of the time. those new 1.42 dualies are looking pretty nice tho. i just need to convince the accountant ( aka mrs pink ) that i need one...
Old February 9th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #116
Grinner Hester

720X480 is standard for ntsc DV. 720X486 is standard for NTSC.
720X540 is NTSC square pixel.
confusing huh?

grin
Old February 9th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #117
Major Player

NTSC = Never The Same Color!!

:)
Old February 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #118
Major Player

I am using a Maxtor Firewire Drive (7200RPM, 120Gig) and its being filled up. No problems.

PC is a 1.7GHz, Pentium 4, 512MB RDRAM, Two 80Gig Drives.

My NLE is Avid Xpress DV 3.5 and all is well.

I am thinking about another one in the near future.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #119
Outer Circle

That's the pixels..., then there's the resolution! That's another can of worms.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 03:11 AM   #120
Raymond van der Kaaij

FCP3 on G4 450DP

Thanks to all of you!! This is very usefull information...

Jeff, what options for upgrading the processors do you mean? <br>We wanted to use the RTMAC for the second monitor, what other options are there for using a second monitor??

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite