Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 17th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #1186
RED Code Chef

Also some space is reserved for if you happen to get weak or
bad sectors. Then there is also overhead for your filesystem and
some other stuff for the Operating System.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #1187
Major Player

Never assume Rob... Unfortunately I got so "hyped up" about the machine that I neglected to see if my software was compatable.

I can't tell if the problem is my pro tools or the G5. It won't let me save audio to the hard drive. I've reformatted and it still doesn't work. I called pro tools and they said that Pro tools won't work on the G5 until mid November! I was just wondering if anybody was having better luck than I?
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #1188
Warden

If ProTools told you it won't work, I really doubt you'll find a solution until either Apple or Protools updates their software. It may require the update to 10.3 due out next week. Did ProTools offer any specifics? Have you checked their site or forums? They used to have a very active community, but I haven't been to their site lately. I switched to Peak several years ago. Peak isn't as advanced but it does what I need.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #1189

With SATA there is hardly no problems in setting up the drives. As there are no jumpers to worry about, also large partitions are now easier, as is faster data transfer.

Western Digital is a far better drive to choose from, then IBM and Maxtor being last as this comes from techs that replace the drives.
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #1190
Regular Crew

Protools is currently working on a solution to fix that problem. Where I work, that is a very common question.

But Protools is working on a quick solution to make it compatible with the G5. They even have a link on their website, digidesign.com

I know how you feel about it not being able to work, but if you're able to hold on a little longer, I think you'll be quite pleased with the results once the update is released.
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #1191
Regular Crew

Funky FireWire Behavior

My PDX 10 has been working great in the editing process so far, but just recently I lost my external video/audio function when using FCP 4 and connected via FireWire. I went all through the menu looking for settings that might be amiss, but could not find anything. There is a possibility that the FireWire cable is the culprit, but I'm disinclined to go with this explanation because I still get communication and video functionality in Log and Cap.
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1192
Wrangler

I don't know about FCP4, but there is some bugginess in this area under FCP3. Sometimes, after really doing a lot of editing/rendering, I find that I can't send external video over firewire. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the PDX-10, it also happens with my VX-2000. Quitting and restarting FCP usually fixes it, or else doing a re-boot.

But FCP3 has a specific, annoying bug that also causes this. For some reason, if you set the canvas to view at 100% external video will frequently stop working for no apparent reason. It is generally cured by selecting "fit to window" from the drop-down view button above the canvas.

I'm sure FCP4 has its own set of odd quirks... er, I mean "features", however...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #1193
Major Player

Documentaries, Shorts, etc.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #1194
Regular Crew

OS X upgrade

What is the simplest way to upgrade from 10.2.3 to at least OS 10.2.5? My Mac is not hooked up to the internet, nor do I want it to be, but the PC that lives next to it is. I was under the impression that the Jaguar upgrade would have got me to at least 10.2.5. Will this cost any money, or is it one of the system updates that occasionally pops up? I just want to install FCP4.

On a side note, Do I have to get matched RAM for the 800MHZ G4 Imac? Someone told me I need to buy laptop RAM. What are the specs on the RAM I need and does anybody have a cheap, reliable resource?

ROCK ON!!!!!!!

P.S. What a great resource this is. Thanks to all of those who have helped in the past.
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #1195
Inner Circle

Dan, do a search for "mac RAM" on google. Click on any site and find the a compatible brand and type of RAM for you Mac. Then go to newegg.com and buy the right kind of RAM (they usually have the cheapest or closest to cheapest prices, and have great service).

If your iMac uses DDR (dual data rate) RAM then you need to install it in pairs. It should say somewhere on the Apple website (like under hardware specs). DDR400 would indicate that you need a pair of PC3200 RAM. It's cheaper to buy RAM in pairs.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #1196
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
Hmmm. Well the stand-alone software update downloads are located here. I have never tried to download one from a PC, store it on a CD and then sneaker it over to a Mac, but that's what I'd be inclined to try. (Are you sure you don't want to connect that Mac to the Net temporarily?)

BTW, be sure to use the "combo" version of the update to 10.2.8, rather than the smaller version. It can spare you some trouble by performing a more thorough update.

Good luck and let us know what solution ultimately works for you.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 04:17 AM   #1197
Warden

What Ken says will work fine. You must use the combo upgrade to jump several versions (10.2.3 to 10.2.5 plus). Jaguar is 10.2 everything past that is an upgrade. When did you buy your computer?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:26 PM   #1198
New Boot

Incite 3.1 software experience?

Anyone out there have any experience importing EDL's from Final Cut Pro into Incite 3.1 video editing software on a PC? I'm asking for a friend who's having a hell of a time using this software at his job and is looking for a workaround.

thanks,
Jennifer Marine
Jennifer Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:26 AM   #1199
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quicktime "audio" poster image

I have a Quicktime video that has a poster image...the "Click to Play" type. The viewer has a choice to also listen to the same video as an audio file. My question is, does anyone know how to attach an image to a QT audio file (using QT rather than FCP)?

I've already made the poster image with Click to Play...and it's working fine at calling up the QT mp3 file I made. Problem is, after clicking the poster image, there's a huge blank spot where normally the video image goes and the audio controller is centered vertically in that space. I'd like to put a still image in there to show while the audio file is playing.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:35 AM   #1200
Tourist

Timeline Setting for 24pa (detailed)

Ok, shot in 24pa, DVFilmed to to 24fps, now I'm brining into FCP. I made the setting for 23.98 but what of the other settings namely Field Dominance? Any other little tidbits of settings info would help too, with FCP OR DVFilm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite