Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 31st, 2003, 08:30 AM   #1276
Tourist

capture problem!

Hello,
i need to capture some analog footage from vhs, and i'm trying to achieve this with a miro motion dc30 video card and final cut 3.0

The problem: i can preview my footage with log capture, [so i think i have the right audio/video settings], but! when i choose capture now, all i get is a black capture window, with the message allocating disk space.
and the only way to get rid of this message (final cut isn't responding to anything) is a forced quit of the program!

final cut does writes data to my harddisc, but it is a file that quicktime doesn't understands,
I have used final cut and log capture with the canon xm1 and had absolutely no problems at all!

i hope someone can help me or has some advice because i can't find the
solution......
wessel
amsterdam.

_

Phil_A
Re: video capture problem (miro motion dc30) [Re: Validsub_forms]

Hi
If you can't see the footage when you're at 'capture now' then it's not going to disc (least, not in a form that's playable I guess). There was a problem some versions back with capture now seizing if the limit wasn't set, but that I think was for audio only transfers. Can only suggest you check settings, as ever (ie that you've got the correct codec & TV standards, and are set to capture sound and vision), maybe trash your FCP preferences which can cure stubborn bugs that don't make sense.
Phil

Post Extras: _ _ _
Validsub_forms

Hi phil,
I have been changing some settings -[AUDIO/VIDEO]
but it is not going to work!

[those f[*]r's of pinnacle could at least update their drivers, final cut 1 !!, ]

anyway I did some testings:
- first the original dv settings [without the canon xm1] and than capture now. no footage is captured of course but after pressing esc. [final cut still reacts] a message: unable to read the movie file just captured. logical but just to make sure....

- than if i choose digitizer: miro motion. the problem is there!
even if i change the different capture settings or don't play the vhs tape and just press capture now , i get allocating disc space, a freezed fcp. and lots of captured data that quicktime can't read.

It just doesn't make sense, final cut can show me the vhs footage [log capture] but can't capture it.
how wonderful live can be!

If somebody reeds this and has some advice please react. i'm getting a little bit desperate here..............

thanks.

wessel/ [fcp.3, G4 450mhz, OS 9.2.2, miro motion dc30]
amsterdam.
Wessel Wallert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:59 AM   #1277
Inner Circle

The DVX100 has about the same low light capabilities as the PD150 (pro version of the VX2000- same optics) from the dv.com review. That might be a bit pricey for you (check the bhphotovideo.com prices). It has some film look options, progressive shooting modes, and great audio. The venerable VX2000 is still one of the best for low light shooting.

Final Cut Express is pretty easy to learn. Get yourself a book or read tutorials online at kenstone.net and read the FCE manual (might need to print that out). You're spoiled because iMovie is so easy to use.

There's lots of great advice over at the lafcpug.org forum.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #1278
Major Player

minidisc and mac

Heres a question

I want to record some sounds playing on my powerbook with my minidisc player, once Ive done this I load up virtual PC to use sony's stupid software to get the track on the computer and I get an error saying it wont check in, after reading the help it mentions items recorded on another computer cannot be checked in. So I'm thinking the software thinks the dvd player on OS X is a different computer than virtual pc and isnt letting me. Is there a way around this? Are there mac resources for minidisc on the web somewhere? Any minidisc/mac related sites would be appreciated

Thanks
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:23 AM   #1279
Major Player

FCP Upgrade Coming Soon?

According to Think Secret -

(http://www.thinksecret.com/news/fcpupgrade.html)

Apple is working on a major upgrade to Final Cut Pro promising double-digit speed increase to G5 users (I've seen this confirmed elsewhere as Apple has been demoing this version to user's groups).

Other fixes/improvements are mentioned in the article.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:11 PM   #1280
Regular Crew

I just hope this upgrade will:

1) fix all the bugs in 4.02
2) run on Jaguar
3) not be a paid upgrade

Come on Apple, help us remember why we love you!
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:58 PM   #1281
Trustee

FCP Audio ????'s (Clarification)

Hello FCP'ers.....

I'm a little confused and would like some clarification on audio when using DV cameras and FCP3.

I often use SP mode and 48khz Rec modes which allows for 2 audio channels....but when working on footage in FCP I can add as many tracks as I'd like- so I'm alittle lost as to the 2 channel/stereo limit when using 48 mhz rec mode...I'm aware when using 32 khz we can dub an additional 2 channels--- is this feature strictly for mic use.....does that mean I must use 32khz mode if I plan to use an onboard mic and plug in another mic? Will the audio show up in FCP as 4 tracks which would be 2 stereo pair per mic input?

...what about when i output back to dv tape and i have 10 audio tracks- what goes in what channel as i can hear all the audio back onto the tape??

I hope I am getting my question across the right way......can someone shed some light on audio? Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:11 PM   #1282
Major Player

Hi Rich,
I started editing with Final Cut Express not too long ago. It was easy to figure out the basic functions and get by without any problems. About a month ago, I bought a very good book called Final Cut Express Editing Workshop by Tom Wolsky. This book is designed specifically for the folks making the move from iMovie to FCE. It starts out very simple, defining every little setting, and even contains a dvd video and sample projects that coordinate directly with the lessons of the book.
I found my copy at a local Barnes and Noble, so you should be able to find one too.

nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:23 PM   #1283
Major Player

Long Captures On Fcpx

Jeff if your out there I need your help. I'm having latency problems with long captures. I'm using FCPX with a MAC G5. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:26 PM   #1284
Warden

Can you describe your problem in a little more detail, please.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM   #1285
Major Player

Picture and audio capture out of sync.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:39 PM   #1286
Warden

The quick fix (in most cases) is to export to QT then import into FCP. But there can be many causes. Hard drive getting full, not enough memory, audio at wrong rate for FCP capture settings (set for 32 kHz and capture at 48 kHz or vice versa), audio in timeline set for too high quality, trying to playback too many audio tracks for resources available.

What version of FCP, QT and Mac OS are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 01:21 AM   #1287
Contributor

Req: advice on Matrox RTMac, dual G4, FCP4?

Hi, just a quick request: can anybody please comment on the Matrox RTMac card? A friend and I are considerning investing in an RTMac to beef up his first-generation dual G4, NLE would be FC4. Is this a good idea? If it performs as advertized, it seems a good deal for US$600. Any happy/unhappy experiences with the product?
Old November 1st, 2003, 05:49 AM   #1288
Inner Circle

Steve,

Dubbing features are dependent on your camera.

As for the ten tracks, you'll have to specify what is each source and how you want it mixed. Creating a stereo field from multiple sound sources is an art.
But generally, monophonic microphone source tracks are panned to the center (equal amounts in each output channel),
stereo microphone source tracks are panned with left channel going to left output channel right to right. A nice method to generate stereo on voice tracks is to record them with stereo ambience, or even better, record them without any ambience and use one of the small room reverberation presets to generate stereo ambience.

Sometimes, mono microphone sources are definitely directional (such as in an interview that are on two sides of the screen), so you'll want to put the left interviewer mostly in the left output channel and the right interviewee mostly in the right output channel.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 10:55 AM   #1289
New Boot

And hopefully it will fix the problem with Timecode Output via FireWire (Not sure how many people are having this issue, but I know somebody that this is happening to and drives him up the wall!)
DV Discussion for the rest of us
Kray Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 02:02 AM   #1290
Regular Crew

timeline problems

In the timeline my scrubber bar is jerky and seems to jump in 2 or 3 sec intervals. My footage on the canvas is also jerky, but all plays fine on the viewer. There is a green circle with a black tick on the canvas window..what have I pushed?

Regards
Rick Banfield
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite