NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 10th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #121
Warden

The PowerLogix is the only dual upgrade for dual 450's at this time. The only limitation to upgrade cards is that you shouldn't upgrade OS's or other critical software until the upgrade manufacture certifies them for use with the board. Upgrades can have problems with new versions of OS's.

If the video card is upgraded to the nVidia GForce 440MX or the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro you will be able to drive two monitors. The cost of the cards are both well under $200.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #122
Major Player

I'm really not sure on that. I haven't seen anything like that on mine. But go to Apple.com and then, support. Then, join discussion. You will find a large discussion on iMovie. I'm sure someone there will know what the problem is.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #123
jpjeanne

Does MPEG-2 affect slow fades?

Hi,

First, I must say, this site is great resource! Now, the problem...

I burned a DVD (using the latest iDVD on a dual 1Ghz G4) of some footage that had a lot of fade-ins and fade-outs (from black). I see a lot of pixelation just before the picture fades completely out, but it only happens with very slow (5 seconds or more) fade-outs. From what I can gather, this could be because of Quicktime compressing the file (not sure how to export an uncompressed - see below), or, it could be because of MPEG-2 encoding, which doesn't handle slow fades very well.

1. How do you create an uncompressed Quicktime file? The manual talks about it, but there are no options in any of FCP's "Export -> Quicktime" menus or sub-menus. The only option I see is within the Quicktime compression settings, where one of the compressors is called "None" - is this it?

2. When does a DV file become encoded as MPEG-2? When I export a Quicktime file from FCP, I end up with a .mov file. Is this an .mov file that has been encoded into the MPEG-2 format, or is MPEG-2 something different, with its own file extension? Can you encode a DV file into the MPEG-2 format and end up with a file that has a different extension, like an .avi?

3. It sounds like iDVD, FCP, and DVD Studio Pro all use the Quicktime 6.0 to encode into the MPEG-2 format. (I'm not sure if this is correct.) I understand that Discreet Cleaner also encodes into the MPEG-2 format. Will it do a much better job encoding than Quicktime 6.0, or are all encoders the same? Will this create a smoother fade?

4. How does FCP synch with Discreet Cleaner? Does Cleaner show up as an option in FCP's "Export->Quicktime" menus? If not, do you have to export an uncompressed .mov then open it with Cleaner and clean that file?

5. After Cleaner encodes to MPEG-2, it has to output some sort of file. What files does it output? Another .mov file or something else?

6. Lastly, I understand that the actual process of buring the DVD results in image degradation. Does Roxio Toast do a better job than iDVD in this department?

Thanks!

JP
Old February 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #124
RED Code Chef

Since I'm not on the Mac platform I do not have experience with
your products. But normally it goes as follows:

1. you EDIT your footage. This is usually in .AVI or .MOV (QuickTime) format
2. you ENCODE your footage to MPEG2. This is usually done in another
application and creates .M2V/.MPG/.VOB files (normally on a PC)
3. you AUTHOR a DVD which assembles all the bits and pieces and
either creates a directory/folder structure with .IFO/.BUP.VOB files
in it or makes a disc image (.IMG mostly)
4. you BURN the DVD. Quality should not degrade here

There are two steps to loose quality FAST. That is between steps
1 and 2 first and then with step 2. You must make sure that you
get your footage to your MPEG2 encoder with the highest quality
possible (AT LEAST DV in QuickTime, uncompressed even better).

The MPEG encoder (step 2) will be the most important factor in
how your file will look. If you have a bad quality encoders (yes,
these do exist) no matter what you will do, it will never look good.
If you have a good encoder you can still get bad looking video if
you set it up wrong. There can be alot of settings for a good mpeg
encoder.

As for your platform specific questions I hope someone in the know
will chime in and light your path!

Good luck.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #125
Regular Crew

auto sync adjust

Has anyone confirmed that this feature is now not working in fcp 3.04
if so what are all of XL1S users going to do?
I never had a problem in fcp 3.02
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #126
New Boot

audio problem after capture

just did some captures of video and audio. The audio levels looked normal when I was capturing but when I play back in timeline or preview the levels are really low. In fact I can't hear anything. I can see some readings from VUs but not much. Not like when I was capturing. The levels in the timeline look fine.

Can someone help me here....

P.S I used a Sony DSR-45 deck to capture with. One other thing I tried a capture from my XL-1s also.

Update: I turned off the DSR and rebooted and now I have sound. But the sound is really low and and bad quality that I recently captured. Other past projects play fine.
Tony Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #127
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tony,
I think we'll need a bit more info, such as:
  • What app are you using? FCP3? Avid? Premiere?
  • What Mac are you using?
  • Have you checked your app's audio capture settings?
  • What's different since your last successful capture?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #128
Major Player

I just checked the most recent project I did with FCP 3.0.4 -- all XL-1 recorded clips over 5 minutes showed a decimal figure (e.g., 48.0083) in the Browser. It appears to be working.
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #129
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Tony,
I think we'll need a bit more info, such as:
  • What app are you using? FCP3? Avid? Premiere?
  • What Mac are you using?
  • Have you checked your app's audio capture settings?
  • What's different since your last successful capture?
-->>>

using FCP3: 3.0.4

Audio capture setting: Where? FCP menu audio/video settings? Summery/capture preset:DV NTSC 48khz

Can't remember making any changes. One time before it did the same thing. That time itwas a digi 8 sony cam so I thought maybe they didn't have the sound down pat. This recent problem I shot the footage with a Panasonic (new 24p cam) and a XL-1s. I know the audio is good with both of these cameras. As I said when I was capturing I could see the levels in FCP and they were good, but when I played it back in the timeline, and preview window it was really low and muffled.
Tony Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #130
Tourist

DV with older macs and FW cards...

Hi,

I have a beige G3 upgraded with a 550 Mhz G4 zif + a Belkin Firewire PCI card + Radeon Mac Edition..
I have had no problem capturing DV with my GL2 and FCP 1.0 through 2.0 work fine, with a minor hickup.

I've had Blocky DV playback problems in the preview window with my G4 upgraded Beige G3 under OS 9.2.2
http://homepage.mac.com/cool/PhotoAlbum5.html

Credit to.... " Josh L."
sound manager from QuickTime 5 is part of the problem.

Unfortunately Final Cut 2 & 3 require the sound manager of QT 5 to run and that sound manager is the one that causes splotchy DV playback.

What can be done to fix this...
use ResEdit to replace the "nift" resources of QT5's SoundManager with the "nift" resources from QT 4.1.2.
This makes for clean DV playback and the use of FCP 2 & 3.

This doesn't fix everything but goes a long way to improve program behavior.

What it does not fix is the audio crackle and hiss in playback under OS 9, but you can mixdown audio to take care of that.
Christian Nordquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 03:01 AM   #131
Tourist

FCP & Pre-G3 & Beige G3 Upgraded Macs

Look here for some great inf on Final Cut Pro with Pre-G3 & Beige G3 Upgraded Macs...
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/..._old_macs.html

If you are getting type 12 errors running FCP 2 on a Pre G3 mac, go here and download "FCP2Init"

http://homepage.mac.com/dvd_sp_helpe.../Download.html
Credit for FCP2Init to John Brisbin

Also look here for great information
http://www.os9forever.com/Pro.html
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #132
Regular Crew

It's not working with my FCP 3.0.4... everything is at 48.000 and its still drifting! help!

VIC: apart from the 'sync adjust movies over' button, what other settings are there?

Adrian
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #133
Tourist

Preview window Blocky Playback Fix for FCP/Imovie3/ Premiere

Hi,

I have a beige G3 upgraded with a 550 Mhz G4 zif + a Belkin Firewire PCI card + Radeon Mac Edition..
I have had no problem capturing DV with my GL2 and FCP 1.0 through 2.0 work fine, with a minor hickup.

I've had Blocky DV playback problems in the preview window with my G4 upgraded Beige G3 under OS 9.2.2

Credit to.... " Josh L."
sound manager from QuickTime 5 is part of the problem.

Unfortunately Final Cut 2 & 3 require the sound manager of QT 5 to run and that sound manager is the one that causes splotchy DV playback.

What can be done to fix this...
use ResEdit to replace the "nift" resources of QT5's SoundManager with the "nift" resources from QT 4.1.2.
This makes for clean DV playback and the use of FCP 2 & 3.

This doesn't fix everything but goes a long way to improve program behavior.

What it does not fix is the audio crackle and hiss in playback under OS 9, but you can mixdown audio to take care of that.

Look here for some great inf on Final Cut Pro with Pre-G3 & Beige G3 Upgraded Macs...
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback...n_old_macs.html

If you are getting type 12 errors running FCP 2 on a Pre G3 mac, go here and download "FCP2Init"

http://homepage.mac.com/dvd_sp_help...d/Download.html
Credit for FCP2Init to John Brisbin

Also look here for great information
http://www.os9forever.com/Pro.html

works for me..... :-)
Old February 13th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #134
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Fcp 4

Any word on FCP 4?
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #135
Trustee

Scene to timeline for cinema look-FCP3???

Hey guys,

I've read various tips for making "film-like" video using 2 video tracks directly on top of each other and then applying the "de-interlace" filter varying the fields and opacity and then rendering out.....problem is this:

I created a new blank sequence and imported a previously created sequence dropped right into the new blank timeline- when i double-click this new sequence to apply the "deinterlace" filter- it jumps back to the tab where the source sequence was located- so how can you apply 2 seperate filters (deinterlace) to each video track when it jumps back to the source of the sequence? I can't seem to apply the "deinterlacing" with variances to field and opacity because it jumps back to the source sequence...what am i doing wrong?
What are the proper steps to do what I am attempting to do?

Thanks everyone- you guys are fantastic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite