DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have the Dual 2GIG G5?

If you have this Mac, would you mind sharing how you like it and you excitment over it? This may be my next machine.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

some people over at the lafcpug.org forum have it. They love it (5 streams of real-time with DV!) but it is buggy with FCP4.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had a chance to see a dual 2gig with FCP4 the other night. Dropping a clip onto the timeline crashed FCP, and the same thing happened a second time when the app was relaunched. It finally worked on the third try, and the render times were very impressive. We watched uncompressed HD footage being played back from a firewire hard drive with no dropped frames. FCP rendered a 20 second HD clip with color correction in about 10 seconds. This was hardware only - no video card.

There are still a lot of compatibility issues with the G5s. I'm content to wait for the second generation machines before I commit the cash. I just don't have the time to beta test for Apple. In the mean time, my G4s are getting real workouts...

Rick
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Warden

It's the OS. The G5's really need OS 10.3, which is due out soon. Most, if not all, of the stability issue will be solved by Panther. Performance will also improve with the new OS.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I was getting worried.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : It's the OS. The G5's really need OS 10.3, which is due out soon. Most, if not all, of the stability issue will be solved by Panther. Performance will also improve with the new OS. -->>>

I've also heard that the G5 optimized patch for FCP 4 will only run on Panther, so it won't be seen for a few more months. I do hope that these two software updates solve the instability on the G5. When it wasn't crashing, the system rocked!

Rick
Old October 5th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #7
New Boot

I bought one of these suckers (been in the market for a new comp for 2.5 years) and MAN IS IT FAST!.( or atleast I think its fast, my old computer was horrible so i may not be too up to date on what is a very fast render time)
Luckily i havent had too many problems. FCP just unexpectedly quits about every 55 minutes. No biggie for right now. But it is fast. I batch rendered about twenty 20 second clips in about 2 minutes. Encoded a 2 minute short to mpg 4 in about 3 than minutes. i use after effects ALOT and that is blaazing fast. i am using the particle emitter effect right now and it takes about 40 seconds to ram preview a 10 second clip at 100% size at full resolution on a clip that has 4 particle emmitters, color correction, and about 4 filters applied to each emitter . On my old PIII it took about 10-15 seconds to start AE, it takes about 2 seconds to start AE and FCP. This is with 1 gig of ram and radeon 9600 pro, the hardware is very fast and when panther comes out, its gonna be a lot faster!
>i think this is fast, not too sure about what other people think.
>I am VERY VERY VERY happy with this computer, i would highly recommend it, but that is only if you are willing to pay the big bucks. This thing cost a pretty penny, so make sure that you REALLY want it before you make that order.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite