Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #1

Recommend a Display for Video Editing w/ Mac G5

Hi Guys,

If anyone can recommend a good display to use for video editing with my
new PowerMac G5, I'd much appreciate it. I'd like to save a few bucks rather than buy the Apple Studio 17" display, without compromising too much quality, but I don't want to buy something that I'll be disappointed with either.

As always, I am grateful to you all for your help. Please don't hesitate to give me your honest opinion.

Thanks much,

Dan
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I got the ViewSonic G90fb. It is sitting in the box waiting for its' companion right now, so I can't tell you how much I enjoy it. Everyone I talked to (hopefully I am not a fool for trusting them) and the reviews I read said this would be a fantastic monitor for the Mac G5. I have had one other ViewSonic (much lower quality) and didn't have any problems. Here's the link: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm

Hope this helps...
Clay
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #3

Clay,

Thanks for the tip. Would you recommend a CRT over an LCD, or even the Apple Studio 17" LCD?
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

No. The LCD is a digital connection (more quality) and the CRT an analog. The CRT will not sacrifice too much quality, but there is a slightly noticable difference. I too wanted to save some bucks, so I went with the CRT ViewSonic. Also, I wanted at least 19" (18" viewable) so I would not be squinting! The Apple displays are fabulous, but also are expensive as heck. Yes, I wish I had enough money to blow $1999.00 on a 23" Apple Cinema display, but I don't (actually I would like 2!) - that would be my first choice. Then, 20" and then the 17", although the 17" is getting pretty small for editing and the like. Hope this helps...

Clay
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the info Clay. I know what you mean about squinting. I'm currently using a 12" ibook and all I do is squint.

:)
Dan
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
LCD's tend to offer much brighter and easier-on-the-eyes displays than crt's. They also draw much less electrical power.

It may be worthwhile to look into a factory-refurbished lcd. You might actually be able to pick up an Apple Cinema Display for (nearly) the price of a new 17" monitor. PowerMax sells refurbished Mac equipment (and trades-in gear). I've dealt with them in the past and they are good people.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #7

thanks Ken.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Another possible idea would be to go with a display from Formac (www.formac.com). They make products exclusively for mac, hence the name. I don't have any experience with, and haven't read any reviews on their displays, although I have read many good reviews on their other products (Studio DV). I can't really vouch for them, but figured it would be worth a little research if you want to find a less expensive digital lcd for your G5.
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #9

I was just looking at the Formac "Oxygen" model : Gallery 1740

It's currently at a price of $499.00 at Formac.com

Does anyone have any experience with these? if so, I'd appreciate your
feedback to tell me if you like it or not.

Considering for a G5...

Thanks a bunch,

Dan
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Monitors

Unless you are producing material for the web, you really should be monitoring on an external CRT PAL/NTSC monitor. You cannot trust what you see on LCDs or computer monitors, which are non-interlaced.

Frequently, the pleasant surprise is that your pictures look much better on a CRT TV/monitor!
Denis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

If you can wait then try waiting for a hot deal on a LCD monitor. Sites like fatwallet.com and anandtech.com's Hot deals forum will have information on these. The people in the forums usually argue the quality of a monitor to death so you will have an idea of how good the monitor is. For you needs, you do not need a fast pixel-refresh response time for your LCD monitor unless you play computer games.

Ars Technica has a LCD buying guide at http://www.arstechnica.com/guide/fla...tpanels-1.html by the way.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #12

I notice the Formac Oxygen model only has a year warranty and the Platnium model has 3 years warranty for an extra $200.... Is it worth the extra couple hundred for two years warranty?
Old October 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Warranties are rarely worth it.

Also note that in 2 years your monitor is worth less and you may even be replacing it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite