DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Contour Shuttle 2 and New Mac Pro w/ FCS2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/156710-contour-shuttle-2-new-mac-pro-w-fcs2.html)

Marshall Staton April 3rd, 2009 04:40 PM

Contour Shuttle 2 and New Mac Pro w/ FCS2

The control keys don't seem to be working ie if i press control + F10 it doesn't fast forward but it will mute or unmute my audio. Any ideas?

Robert Lane April 5th, 2009 11:30 AM

Contact the manufacturer. A quick check of the product page shows they haven't updated info since the G5 era; I'd hate to think they don't have updated drivers for the Mac Pro but I suppose it's possible.

I do know of other editors using the Shuttle Pro without problem on both Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

Jiri Fiala April 6th, 2009 01:08 PM

I have Shuttle 2 too, but I find its operation extremely choppy in FCP. Jogging is almost unusable, as it picks up to speed and stops well after I`ve let go of the jog wheel. This happens on clean install, with the latest driver. No matter what quality i set playback to, happens with plain old DV as well.

Is this normal with FCP and Shuttle?

In Premiere (PC and Mac), jog is perfectly smooth, it`s like jogging a quality deck. What gives?

William Hohauser April 6th, 2009 02:46 PM

I have the original Shuttle Pro and it stopped working with FCP years ago regardless of the driver updates. It continued to work fine with After Effects until CS3. Now it's in a box somewhere.

Mitchell Lewis April 6th, 2009 03:38 PM

I saw an ad in a magazine for someone selling that thing. I think it was Griffin Technology....but I wouldn't swear to it. Maybe they bought out Contour and have updated the drivers?

Robert Lane April 6th, 2009 09:54 PM

I don't use one but checked-in with the editors whom I know uses them; they all say it works just fine on a MacPro/MBP without issue.

Again, checking with the manufacturer would be a good idea. It could very well be an issue internally with the unit itself rather than driver problems.

A.D.Wyatt Norton June 20th, 2009 01:35 PM

Dang! I always prefer searching up an answer, rather than giving one. especially if I don't know what I'm talking about, which happens far too often. I've been using a ShuttlePro 2 for years, and have no problems on either a twin G5 or a MacBook Pro. Except one: My FCP presets disappeared. Bizarre. It still operates in FCP, but only via global settings. The contour design people have a wwwebsite that seems almost embarrassed of the shuttle pro, except for the 'Rx' version, apparently designed for the medical world. I guess I'll rebuild the preset, but the fact is- The FCP standard one needed only a little customization for me. Anyone who's only used the center jog/wheel combo likes it. At least that part works, but the programmable buttons are a godsend, too. I'd love it if they did sellout to someone who updated by major NLE updates and OS updates. I wonder if some of the problems people have aren't simply operational changes built in with later platforms and applications.

Anyway, I need to use it, not monkey around with its settings, which is also one big reason why I use Macintosh equipment in the first place.

If anyone knows a place people exchange shuttlepro settings, I'd love to know.

EDIT: BTW, be sure and use the latest available drivers:

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

Edit: I re-installed v. 2.14 for Mac OSX and all the final cut presets were back. Stock ones, anyway. Beyond me.

Luc De Wandel November 16th, 2009 06:49 AM

Can anyone tell me what settings to use? I just bought a Shuttle Pro II and it doesn't even perform the most basic functions on my Mac Pro 8-core. When I turn the jog & shuttle wheel I hear the 'alarm bell' of my Mac going off and the clip keeps playing, no matter what I do. It wont stop until I force it to stop with a click from my regular mouse. Also the 'forward play' button does not work. I did download the most recent driver from the site and tried both 'Final Cut Pro' and 'global' settings....

I'm using Snow Leopard.

Sam Young November 18th, 2009 07:21 AM

Hello,

I have the contour as well running FCP 7 on both my MBP with Leopard and Mac Pro with Snow Leopard without any problems. Under the profiles did you select "Final Cut Pro 7?" If I select "Final Cut Pro HD," it doesn't work, only works when I select "Final Cut Pro 7."

Does the Contour work on other programs? Or just on the "Global?"

Hans Tuytelaars March 5th, 2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 1448007)
Can anyone tell me what settings to use? I just bought a Shuttle Pro II and it doesn't even perform the most basic functions on my Mac Pro 8-core. When I turn the jog & shuttle wheel I hear the 'alarm bell' of my Mac going off and the clip keeps playing, no matter what I do. It wont stop until I force it to stop with a click from my regular mouse. Also the 'forward play' button does not work. I did download the most recent driver from the site and tried both 'Final Cut Pro' and 'global' settings....

I'm using Snow Leopard.

I have the exact same problem. How did you solve this ?

Thanks,

Hans