DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM   #1
Major Player

No Audio going out FCP4/G5

I am new to Mac's and FCP4 and began editing and encountered a slight problem. Ok, here's the set up: G5 w/FCP -> Firewire to Sony ->HI8 - everything is cool with capture - it captures video and sound. Here's the problem: G5 -> Audio Out on back -> 1/8" to Stereo RCA -> Stereo Amp -> speakers = no sound on log and capture in preview. The only way I get sound is the firewire out to camcorder to VTR to Amp. This is fine, but I don't understand why it won't go out of the computer straight into the AMP and play sound while previewing. iTunes works fine out the back of the computer into the amp. All computer sounds work fine out from the computer into the amp. FCP preview does not. I have been in and turned off External Video as it said to do on the FCP site - no worky. I went into Audio/Video Settings and set Audio to "Built in Audio" - no worky. I must be missing something, or it just simply doesn't work like I want it to, but I just don't understand why (is this a Mac illiteracy issue?). After I capture, the sound is there and works just fine through the amp. I have searched several different sites and some people offered some advice, but I tried it all and it didn't work. Anybody have an answer??? Many thanks in advance.

Clay...
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can turn the speaker option on but I don't recommend it.

Get a splitter cable (female - 2male) or move cables around when you capture.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Major Player

The speaker option in Audio/Video Settings? If so, I did that and it still didn't work. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh, one more thing....the problem isn't in capture, just in logging the clips before capturing. Capturing is fine - audio is fine only after capturing.
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Warden

In System Preferences>Sound, what is the output set to?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:10 PM   #6
Major Player

System Preferences>Sound>Ouput>Built-in-Audio
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM   #7
Warden

That sends sounds to the Macs internal speaker, not through the connection at the back. Are there other options?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM   #8
Major Player

"That sends sounds to the Macs internal speaker, not through the connection at the back. Are there other options?"

Doesn't it send it through both? And, if one is connected, the other is disabled, i.e. if the plug on the back is plugged in, the internal speaker doesn't play sound, but if it is unplugged, sound plays on the internal speaker. As far as I can tell, there is no "setting" to choose between the two. It seems they are interrelated and work off and because of each other. Also, it probably is hooked up to the front head phone jack so that if plugged in, the internal speaker doesn't work...haven't checked that.

There is one other option that says "Digital Out" or something like that. I don't have 20 feet of Digital wire, and probably couldn't afford it, but that's why they also put an analog hook up too, right?

Anyone know????
Thanks again for the help...
Clay
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:55 AM   #9
Warden

What model Mac do you have? Most of the newer rear outputs are digital. Depending on the model, the only analog out may be the headphone jack.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

I have a Dual G5 - it has the digital out and the analog out on the back, and the headphone jack on the front. The sound out on the back works with the computer sounds and iTunes, just not with logging clips in FCP4. Thanks for any input.

Clay...
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM   #11
Warden

OK, just making sure. There was a period of about 2 years recently, when Power Macs only had digital out. It probably is an FCP setting not set right. Try using the headphones or a single cable just to isolate the problem. A remote chance your choice of connectors (stereo, mono etc.) could be causing problems. I'm not using FCP 4 yet, neither is the school I teach at.

Old October 28th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Just in case you haven't found an answer, you cannot monitor audio when capturing in FCP 4. Only way to monitor during capture would be through your output source, ie: camera. I'm reading that from the FCP 4 manual. Hope this helps,

Michael
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #13
Major Player

Michael,

You can monitor while logging and capturing. I figured it out! The sound is a little off while logging, but works. The only way to line it up would be to go out of the camera into a monitor or amp that way.

To do it, you have to go into your presets and create a new capture preset, copying the one that is set to. In the preset editor go to the advanced button on the audio settings and turn speakers to ON. If you have problems with playback sound (like pops or sync issues), turn them to OFF while capturing.

Hope this helps if you are trying to do the same thing...
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #14
Inner Circle

For some reason I stopped reading this thread. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier with the location of the speaker option.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Glenn,

Figured it out, but after using it I think the best thing (I know, I know we all know the the best thing) to do is get a deck and monitor and do sound editing that way! Hopefully I will have that money soon!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite