DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:58 PM   #1
Major Player

OSX stop from sleeping FW drive

I've been using a Granite FW case for a couple years now and it has been flawless. One question in 10.2.6 it always puts the FW drive to sleep when its not in use for a while seems like 10-15 minutes or so. Is there anyway I can put an end to this? Its just really annoying.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Warden

Yes, in the System Preferences>Energy Saver>put computer to sleep---never>uncheck put HD to sleep. Some third party software like Cocktail and Tinker Tool can also be configured to put the drives to sleep, too.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

The sys pref. has been set to never and the put HD to sleep is always unchecked. Any other suggestions? I dont have any 3rd party software that would put the drive to sleep. It only does it with the FW drive. Thanks for the help.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:49 PM   #4
Warden

Contact the drive manufacture for the latest drivers. You may need to upgrade to 10.2.8. Granite will be your best bet for answers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've never successfully stopped my external FW drives from going to sleep. The energy preference panel doesn't work and neither has Cocktail. I haven't tried Tinker Tool. I am running at 10.2.8
I've had to move projects around to keep them on one or two disks in order to keep the sleeping from messing up print to video. And I finally gave in and installed a second large internal hard drive for "current" video projects that I need to write to tape.

I'm hopeful that Panther will provide a fix, but I doubt it.
Of course, as I move away from outputting to tape and work more with DVD, the problem isn't as severe...
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is this just a normal action for FW drives?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM   #7
Warden

Yes and no. I have one drive that goes to sleep how I set preferences and one that goes to sleep when it wants to. The one that doesn't obey is a much older drive, pre Oxford 911. It uses Indigita drivers, which haven't been upgrade in years.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:07 PM   #8
Major Player

I emailed Granite Digital they replied " I have heard that there is a utility that fixes this bug but I don't know exactly what it is. I would try MacCentral or one of the other Mac sites and see what they say." I dont edit with the drive just use it for storage so its not that big of a deal to me just more of an annoyance. Thanks for the help.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:14 PM   #9
Warden

You can try Cocktail. It's shareware ($20) and can be downloded from Version Tracker. It has a never setting that seems to work on most drives (not my older, non Oxford Chipset).

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite