DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP4 Bug? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/16583-fcp4-bug.html)

Dave Wagner November 2nd, 2003 08:02 PM

FCP4 Bug?

Hello,

I've got OS 10.2.7, a 1.8 G5, 1 Gig memory, and FCP4. Yesterday I could batch capture, today I can't. I even tried capturing Now by manually running the tape. All cables are connected, everything is on. I restarted both the Mac and my camera. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to change? Is there a patch available? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Ken Tanaka November 2nd, 2003 09:26 PM

Be more specific Dave!

When you say "...today I can't" what do you really mean? What happens? What are you trying to capture from?

On the self-help front ask yourself what changed. Something ALWAYS changed between then and now. Think hard.

Dave Wagner November 2nd, 2003 09:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Be more specific Dave!

When you say "...today I can't" what do you really mean? What happens? What are you trying to capture from?

On the self-help front ask yourself what changed. Something ALWAYS changed between then and now. Think hard. -->>>

===

Well, yesterday I was capturing from my PD150, and everything seemed to work fine. I started with Easy Setup, and it didn't work. I changed the Capture/Input tab from DV NTSC 48 kHz to DV NTSC 48 kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) and it worked! This afternoon I started FCP as usual, logged 2 dozen clips, went to batch capture, saw the Clips Ready window, clicked Continue, and all I got was a General Error. I tried changing back to the initial DV NTSC setting and it still didn't work. I tried to capture Now, and that didn't work either. I've rebooted both my Mac and camera, and am about to delete the FCP program file and reinstall. Right now, I can't think of anything else that might be causing this error message.

Ken Tanaka November 2nd, 2003 10:27 PM

The magic elixir when all else fails in such circumstances: delete your FCP Preferences file, empty your Trash and restart FCP.

Jeff Price November 3rd, 2003 12:02 PM

One other magic elixir in the case of potential firewire problems is to reset the firewire. You do this by turning off your computer and unplugging it for 15 minutes.

This could be urban myth but it was the only way I could get my iPod/Apple talking to each other again after some problems arose.

Corey MacGregor November 3rd, 2003 12:25 PM

Usually when i get a General Error, it means that i'm out of disk space. Did you check your scratch disks to make sure you have enough space or that they are set to the correct drive?

Jeff Donald November 3rd, 2003 01:24 PM

How many drives do you have and what size are they? Are they internal or external? Are they formatted HFS+?

Dave Wagner November 3rd, 2003 06:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Corey MacGregor : Usually when i get a General Error, it means that i'm out of disk space. Did you check your scratch disks to make sure you have enough space or that they are set to the correct drive? -->>>

=====
No, I'm not out of disk space. I've got 130G left on a 160. Went into preferences and reset them.

Jeff Donald November 3rd, 2003 06:19 PM

You may want to upgrade to 10.2.8 or downgrade to 10.2.6 Your OS, 10.2.7 has some known problems. Try upgrading your OS. Do you only have 1 drive? HAve repaired your permissions? Have you run fsck -y at startup?

Dave Wagner November 3rd, 2003 06:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : How many drives do you have and what size are they? Are they internal or external? Are they formatted HFS+? -->>>

=====
One. 160G. Internal. Format? It came however Apple formatted it.

UPDATE: I tried logging clips from another tape and now it's working. It's an AY-DVM63PQ.... but so was the other one. Could it be a timecode issue?

Jeff Donald November 3rd, 2003 06:21 PM

It could possibly be bad TC. Try the old tape and see what happens.