Trash Can in OS X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trash Can in OS X

I finally figured out how to throw away a file into the trash can without too much hassle. I use TinkleTool to lock the dock into the lower left hand corner of the screen (hiding turned off). When I want to delete a file, I attempt to drag it to the trash can (or the ever-so-trendy über wastebasket). However the trash always moves out of the way, fighting me. It was always a struggle to get a file into the darned thing since it was always moving around. Behold the Apple key. There is some other name for this key, but it has the Apple logo on it, so it is the apple key. It also has another weird symbol on it for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and I shall ignore that symbol's existence. Anyway, if you hold this down while moving files to the trash, the trash can will not resist and fight you. It will cooperate, acting almost as efficient as OS 9, where the trash gladly accepts your useless files!

This has nothing to do with digital video. Sorry if this was a waste of time. But the time you wasted reading this will easily be made up for not fighting that idiot trash can. :)

For those who have never had to fight the evil trash can, here is an example:

Approaching the Trash Can
Denied!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #2
Major Player

You can also control click - move to trash.No drag needed.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

And since I have a two-button mouse, I can just right-click. I'll have to get used to that. But dragging is still best when working with multiple files.

Edit: Nope, I can delete multiple files at the same time with right click as well. Cool! Apple should include a two button mouse with their computers.
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #4
Warden

Even more fun, lasso multiple file, or shift click mutiple files (shift click selects sets of files) or Apple Key click the files you want. Once you have selected the various files you want to delete, press Apple Key (AKA Command Key, or Splat) and the delete key and all the files will move to the trash.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #5
Warden

I can just barely do it with one hand on my powerbook, but no problem with my right hand on the bigger pro keyboard with two Apple Keys.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

My mouse is elevated compared to my keyboard. I have one of those fancy-schmancy desks that have the keyboard shelf that slides in and out. Mouse is on top of the desk. Works well for me.
Old November 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #7
Major Player

thats all really fun but my computer does not want me to trash a program I was downloading(but did not finish) it keeps telling me this i : (in english I am getting it in Dutch) the program you want to trash is in use , I have got to wait until it is finished. But I have checked there is no program running and I tried restarting but it is still there and I can not trash it??

any idea's?

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Warden

If you highlight the program and type the Apple Key and the I Key does the info window appear? If so, change the ownership of the file (you may need to click on the lock icon) to your short name (it should appear in the pull down). You can also log in as Root and trash the folder, and your whole system, so be careful logging in as Root.

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:08 AM   #9
Major Player

jeff, i changed the name of it and its ownership had already my name on it ...But nothing so far but the part about 'root' i don't understand.

director/cameraman

Old November 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #10
Warden

Changed it's name? What do you mean?

How to activate as Root user:

The root user, sometimes called the superuser, is a special user account in Mac OS X that has read and write privileges to all areas of the file system. The root user can move and delete any file in the system, including system files not available to any other user. Because it's easy to damage the computer by moving or deleting some files, use the root account with extreme caution.

By default the root account is not active.

To enable the root user:

Open NetInfo Manager, located in Applications > Utilities.
Choose Security > Enable Root User and type a password for the root account. You may need to type an administrator password to make these changes.
Choose Apple menu > Log Out.
Choose Other in the Login window, type root in the Name field, and the root password in the Password field.

The root user should only be used for specific administration or monitoring tasks. After completing a task as the root user, log out of Mac OS X and log back in using a normal or administrator user account.

Disable root access if you do not use it often.

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Jeff,

I just had time to look at what you wrote and i found the netinfomanager but there is no security post. There is just "users" and one of them is "root" but no pass word is asked and root has nothing in the field behind it.... other Users are myself "nobody" etc..
No enable root user asked either??

director/cameraman

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #12
Warden

Security is a menu bar heading in NetInfo Manager. It may say enable or authenticate depending on the version OS you're using. Apple changed the wording in 10.3 I think.

Old November 18th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #13
Major Player

thanks Jeff, for all the info!!

director/cameraman

David Slingerland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite