DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   No Mp3's For Fcp??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/17069-no-mp3s-fcp.html)

G. Lee Gordon November 14th, 2003 02:43 PM

No Mp3's For Fcp???

I'm using FCP Express and trying to add an MP3 as background sound on an audio track and it doesn't work! I converted the file to an AIFF and it works fine! Is it me or does FCP not accept MP3. Is there a fix to that? Or, is that just a FCP Express quirk?

Nicholi Brossia November 14th, 2003 03:15 PM

Apparently that's just one of the FCE quirks. I've read about having to convert to AIFF from a reliable book, and even thought I saw it on the Digitalfilmtree dvd that was included with FCE. Yeah, its a bit of a hassle, but FCE is still a great program... especially for $700 less than Pro.

G. Lee Gordon November 14th, 2003 08:22 PM

It's true with FCP 4.0 also!!!

Steve Nunez November 14th, 2003 08:37 PM

If you were to use an MP3- you'd get popping as a result of it not conforming to the 48khz or 32 khz preset for DV.....so exporting to aiff is a good bet anyway- and you wont have to render anytime you make changes where the audio is concerned.

Glenn Chan November 15th, 2003 01:31 AM

Did anyone compare iTunes' conversion to QT Pro's?

I remember there was a difference in time to convert and the quality of the conversion. I think iTunes was better.

MP3s with bitrates <192kbps aren't that great sometimes so watch out.

Ted Springer November 15th, 2003 05:14 AM

I've tried playing with MP3's in the full blown Final Cut Pro and it really doesn't handle them that well, so FCE isn't alone. The MPEG format in itself doesn't really lend itself to editing very well, so it is better to convert to 48k AIFF if you must use an MP3 file for your sound if no other version is available. It's not really something that bothers me since the conversion is incredibly fast and easy with SoundApp in OS9 (this app CANNOT be beat). Unfortunately there is no version of SoundApp for OS X (for shame! -- same with JPEGView!) so you must do it the hard way via Quicktime or iTunes.

Glenn Chan November 15th, 2003 02:41 PM

Actually you IMPORT via iTunes. Go into the preferences and set the location to import to as well as the format to import to (48khz AIFF).

Ted Springer November 15th, 2003 04:32 PM

iTunes will also HIDE your converted file deeply within its realm of cryptic folders, instead of right on the desktop where you need it.

Mike Butler November 26th, 2003 08:41 PM

Y'know, that's one of the most irksome features of FCP, the non-support of MP3!

When I take my little PowerBook on location, for darn well sure my music library is not going to be AIFF files, they're 10 times the size of MP3! And I'm certainly not going to lug around a stack of CDs either. So the library stays in MP3 format, until I decide on a track or two to use in the video. Then I convert the ones I need to AIFF on the spot. Actually I use Toast Titanium, which calls it "extracting" to AIFF, it works fine. Or I use iTunes to import a track in AIFF in the odd event I have the CD on hand.

Yeah, iTunes is pretty funny the way it squirrels away the file. Actually, if you remember that it is doing this for the purpose of creating an organized music library and get the hang of the path, you can dig the file out and put it where you want it.

What is hilarious is that Apple is making hay with the iTunes Music store, where they are selling music which is what? Not AIFFs! OK, to be technical, they are AAC files, MP4 in other words. And what is the highly touted iPod? An MP3 player!

Question for Ted: will SoundApp lauch in Classic? (yeah, I know, how kludgey!) That's how I continue to use SoundEdit 16.