ibook G4 14" on editting. FCP4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

No VI

Remember to the iBook G4 doesnt have the velocity engine of the G4 Powerbook, imac, emac, and powermacs. I might be worng but this is what i have heard from several people. So if it is true all those RT effects wont work well if at all.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

external video, velocity engine

if the iBook didn't use the velocity engine I don't think Apple could/would call it a G4. I can always be corrected but I think the iBook G4 uses the velocity engine.

My biggest "don't do it" comment revolves around the ibook not being able to use dual displays. You can mirror your screen but can't connect a second screen and I can't imagine FCP editing being done on a 14" screen, without access to more screen real estate. I'm sure some people do it.... ;)
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I am also considering a portable to do some editing on the road, with really heavy duty stuff reserved for the desktop. The arguments for the Powerbook make sense to me, but I'm wondering if people think there is a significant difference between the 12 and 15 inch powerbook, other than the obvious ones of screen size and cost. I know the 12 does not have firewire 800, but neither does my desktop G4, and no problem so far. I also know there is a difference in the video card, but am I wrong in thinking the 12 has more than an adequate card for video? Finally, is it worth any extra $ with either machine to go for a 60 or 80 MB drive if I plan to use a firewire drive for my data drive, so as to facilitate going back and forth between machines anyway? Thanks for any advice.

Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Jeff,
I finally got the AL Powerbook G4 1Ghz. I'm glad that I used the extra cash to get it. The Ibook would have been nice too, but the Powerbook is... POWER.
Haven't really tested editting on it yet, but will report.
Thanks for the advice.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

>Finally, is it worth any extra $ with either machine to go for a 60 >or 80 MB drive if I plan to use a firewire drive for my data drive, >so as to facilitate going back and forth between machines >anyway? Thanks for any advice.

Depends on what you are doing, but I think 60Gs are more than enough for applications. Capture on a firewire drive so that you have a faster drive and more space.
As for the screen size, I found the 12 " too small for editting. Hope this helps
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #21
Regular Crew

go with 80

I use a 12" powerbook to edit on and i love it. I opted for the 80 gig hd. What i did was partition the 80 gig drive so that 20 gigs was for my apps and around 60 was for my video. that way i have one partiion that has no fragments for my footage. when i'm done with my project i just erase/reformat that partition and im ready for a new project. what i do is capture offlineRt edit my movies. then recapture only the needed footage. If i need to i recaputre to an external drive. what i have found is that capturing to a USB 2.0 drive and leaving all the banwith of the FW bus to be used for the incoming footage and the usb 2.0 for the video to be recorded to is a safer option for me. I guess what it really depends on is how much footage your final project will need and how much mobility menat to you.

Also the 12" screen is a little small for editing, but if you just sequence your clips on it and then do all you effects what not using an extenal DVI monitor for that i dont think you will have aproblem. I use a 19" DVI monitor and that takes care on my screen size issue whne i need it,.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite