DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   ibook G4 14" on editting. FCP4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/17264-ibook-g4-14-editting-fcp4.html)

Takeshi Fukushima November 18th, 2003 01:21 AM

ibook G4 14" on editting. FCP4

My old Toshiba Dynabook went caput, so
I'm cosidering to buy the new ibook G4 14" for all email etc. and possibly editting. Since I have been using FCP 4 alot recently, I thought the ibook will be a good introductory for me to go back to Macs. Though I will definitely still be using Win.

Can you give me a opinion on if this ibook is good enough?
There are a couple of G4 desktops in the office so, I figure I do the heavy renders. stuff on them, but edit FCP4 on the go.

I have read that altough the 640MB limit, you CAN put 1G ram on it, and also the monitor out capability limit can be hacked. Are these facts? if so, what's the drawback to the more heftier powerbook G4s?

I haven't owned a Mac since the Powerbook 180c. (the first color powerbook) Used it until it started showing bomb marks.

Thanks,
Takeshi

Jeff Donald November 18th, 2003 01:55 AM

It will be a marginal performer in my opinion. It sounds like you're counting on getting a performance boast from hacks. What you may get is instability and lower reliability. Apple offers the PowerBooks for better performance. It is also available in 3 sizes to best fit your needs. I occasionally edit movies on my PowerBook and it performs quite well. I wouldn't expect near the same level of performance from an iBook.

Takeshi Fukushima November 18th, 2003 03:26 AM

Jeff Thanks for the info.
Money wise, I think the ibook is the only choice for me. I'll keep in mind the risk of hacking. hope I don't need to try it.
Takeshi

Takeshi Fukushima November 18th, 2003 03:28 AM

Is there other limitations in the ibook?

Jaime Valles November 18th, 2003 12:45 PM

The iBook can't have a built-in Superdrive (DVD-R, CD-RW). It's also heavier than a PowerBook, and has less storage space. That said, it is significantly less expensive than the PowerBook. I would assume you can edit on it fine, especially if you use Offline RT, and then do the effects heavy rendering on the desktops at work. Just don't expect the iBook to be fast.

Bud Kuenzli November 18th, 2003 04:30 PM

fcp on dvd

don't I recall FCP4 being on DVD? I think that's a requirement for installation. Dunno if you could do an install with a third party firewire drive. maybe. maybe not.

Glenn Chan November 18th, 2003 06:04 PM

You can install FCP4 by using a G4 tower as a firewire drive (boot it up in firewire target mode).

I thought you only needed hacks (the Dane hack to be precise) with FCP3 to get "unlimited"/non-safe RT? Doesn't FCP4 give you unlimited RT and firewire output? (both still processor dependent)

Takeshi Fukushima November 18th, 2003 08:53 PM

Thanks all,
The 14" ibook 1G comes with DVD-rom drive (read but no write) so I figure I can install FCP4. It's too bad they don't have write enabled Super drive. I guess I'll have to live with that.
One tech question. What is the Secondary cash? The secondary cashe is set lower on the ibook than the powerbooks. how will this effect performance?
Thanks again,
All the best,
Takeshi

Jeff Donald November 18th, 2003 09:27 PM

There are 3rd parties that have DVD-R drives available. It is a DVD-ROM drive so installation is no problem. However, performance will not have the snappy feel of the Power Macs. The ram limitation is one factor. FCP needs lots of ram, the more the better. However, as noted, the iBook is limited to 640mb. It will also suffer from smaller caches, slower busses and other limitations. It works, but I would not recommend it as the primary editing station.

Takeshi Fukushima November 21st, 2003 05:10 AM

Thanks Jeff,
I am not consider the ibook as a primary editting machine. Have 2 G4 Dual1G desktops in the office. Mainly will be working when traveling.
There was report on the Mac site where FCP4 worked on a 12" G4 ibook so the 14" must be pretty well off.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@247.JtjoaPnakkn.16@.599cb362

Also you mentioned smaller cashes, so another question. I am familiar that in 3D Graphics, cashe amount makes alot of difference. stocking up frames. How is it used in FCP? Is it something critical?

I went to the store today thought I was buying the 14". Was playing around, and the fact that the resolution 14" = 12". Kinda made me think, maybe I'd better off with the 12". Save some cash $s for some HDs.
hmmm. Either way I can't wait.
Takeshi

Jeff Donald November 21st, 2003 06:54 AM

Larger caches allow for RT effects etc. Smaller caches and less ram is a limitation and will greatly hinder performance. The offline mode, with lower resolution, will be your best bet.

Butch Jones November 21st, 2003 07:22 AM

I use the powerbook every week for a 30 minute program. The cache makes the difference if you are rendering and with RT but if you are rendering on a desktop and the cash makes that much difference then the Ibook will be ok.

People I know that use the Ibook for video production are not very satisfied, 2 of them have said they wish they would have bit the bullet and bought the powerbook. Reasons, they love the portability and rendering time is too large on the Ibook.

DVD-R is another huge reason.

Good luck.

Butch Jones November 21st, 2003 07:25 AM

By the way OSX10.2.6 and FCP3.4 made about a 10 hour difference in rendering a 30 minute program for "Broadcast Safe" filter. The software upgrade took advantage of the extended Cache and it really smokes now.

Jeff Donald November 21st, 2003 11:57 AM

Thanks for the input Butch. Your posts pretty much confirm everything I've heard about iBooks and editing with FCP 3.

Glenn Chan November 21st, 2003 11:47 PM

The cache serves as a temporary repository for extensively used data. Your computer can quickly access data that's stored in the cache while it takes longer to access data from RAM and even longer to access data from the hard drive. Theoretically, a smaller cache is likely to decrease performance but can possibly increase performance. It doesn't really matter though. Ultimately what you care about is the speed difference. It seems to me:
towers > powerbooks > iBooks

Quote:

By the way OSX10.2.6 and FCP3.4 made about a 10 hour difference in rendering a 30 minute program for "Broadcast Safe" filter. The software upgrade took advantage of the extended Cache and it really smokes now.
Uh... 10 hours?!?!