Space - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 26th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

yeah, sorry about not clarifying the CMX Grassvalley thing before. The early avids were considered offline and most people would offline on an Avid and then take it to a grassvalley/cmx system for the online edit. The online systems would read an Avid EDL as long as it was set up properly - hence the numbering of tapes 001 002 etc. :)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Sorry, but I am still full

I can't get this clean hard drive thing under control. It's vexing me!!!

It's real full with 3 projects on it. I have read the articles and posts concerning this and have a few more questions.

I have a project (personal) that I need to keep on there for future use when applying for jobs, etc. Eventually I will need to re-edit it and do some updates. It is finished in a few different formats and I have created an iDVD file. Here are my questions:
1. If I have the iDVD file created what does it need to always be able to burn that DVD?

2. Can I erase all the captured stuff and just re-capture later and erase all the rendered files and captured files? Then I would be left with the FCP file to re-capture at a later date (really sucks because my tapes aren't labelled and the time code is not continuous - is there a way to correct this?).

3. Should I just get another hard drive and save the stuff I want to keep on that?

4. Does Toast copy DVD's or is there another program on my Mac that will do this?

I am sorry for all the questions, but I am freaking out here and can't figure out exactly how to get this situation under control - still. I guess I am worried about erasing stuff and then having to re-capture with tapes that weren't labelled correctly from the get go and I could use some clarification. Thanks a million in advance to all those who help!!!!!!!!!!

Clay
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM   #18
Machinist Mate

Clay,

1. If you SAVE the iDVD job, it creates a folder which containes the processed file. I believe that's all you need to re-create that disk. But of course say goodbye to doing anything else with that video.

2. That's a bummer. Going forward, you should ALWAYS label your tapes (but you know that now). When capturing in FCP I like to log the media using the same info that's written on the tape label (usually date & reel number: 5-2-04 tape 2, etc.) Then you won't find yourself in this predicament again.

3. Definitely! They are cheap enough now, so spending a little money at this point may save you the major freakout.

4. Yes, I use Toast Titanium 5 on my Mac.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #19
New Boot

If you're done with 2 of the three projects, I would say just output them to a new "master project final tape of doom" and then delete everything from those projects on your harddrive. That way, you can recapture the completed projects at a later date if you need to. This is assuming, of course, that the projects and absolutely, 100%, no questions asked FINAL. If you won't need to make any more changes for the clients, this is the way to go. You'll still have the projects for demo reel purposes, but you can clear all the extra crud out.

Another option is the media manager. It basically deletes any captured media in a project that isn't being used in a sequence. So, if you captured 30 minutes of footage, but used only 20 in the final piece, Media Manager will delete the unused 10 minutes. This can be dangerous, 'cause it really limits the changes you can make to a clip afterwards, but it's a way to clear up a little extra space in a crunch.
Jim Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #20
Machinist Mate

I am a big fan of Media Manager. One such project I managed to get down from 13 gigs to about 3. Yes, this is scary because you can't add back any footage after it's been done. But you can still open the job, and all the individual elements (tracks, effects, titling, audio etc.) are still there and editable. This is good if you want to tweak anything due to a new purpose for an existing finished job (like if you made a marketing video with industry statistics supered on, now you want to take clips of that for a PR reel, and that info needs to be removed).

Once it's really really final, of course, then lay off to tape and delete from the harddrive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite