DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   fcp4 with low budget edit deck (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/17696-fcp4-low-budget-edit-deck.html)

Sean Sheehan November 28th, 2003 02:00 PM

fcp4 with low budget edit deck

My budget is low and my options seem to be :
SONY GVD-1000 MINI DV WALKMAN ($1000.00)
JVC SR-VS 30 U ($860.00)

my wish list is :
SONY DSR 11 COMPACT DVCAM
(can not afford)

I need another edit deck for my canon xl-1s and mac g4 tower. Are the top 2 decks worth investing. I could not find them listed on fcp4 web-site.

thanks again

sean sheehan
soundspeed productions

J. Clayton Stansberry November 28th, 2003 02:32 PM

I just got a JVC GR-D90 for $300ish and use it for a deck. Works fine with FCP4, has device control, A/V outs for A/V monitors, etc. Cheaper than deck option. You might check out cheap mini dv camcorders as another option.

Sean Sheehan November 30th, 2003 07:07 AM

thanks

thanks for the info and quick response. do i have to worry about dropped frames when i use low end gear? most of my work is for web-based videos and will not be for "full feature film quality".

sean

Bud Kuenzli November 30th, 2003 01:40 PM

drop frames and other decks

You may also find the Panasonic AG-DV1000 for under a grand. It's not made any longer but it works fine and may still be available.

Your deck doesn't have much if anything to do with drop frames assuming it is functioning normally. When you pull your video into your computer, the settings in FCP, the speed of your machine and hard drives may affect whether you get dropped frames but (somebody correct me here) the brand of deck you get will have little impact on the drop frame issue.

Glenn Chan November 30th, 2003 04:44 PM

Well the decks have better tracking so that they can handle damaged/crummy tapes better. I don't think it happens that often though.

Adam Wilt's website has info on that. In the DV pictures section I think.

Jeff Donald December 1st, 2003 10:49 AM

Decks also have faster FF and REW. They also cue to in points faster for faster capture.

Sean Sheehan December 1st, 2003 11:54 AM

budget blues

Jeff thanks once again on my last issue with the xl-1s. I now have a new one ! My budget is getting smaller day by day. Holiday is coming and funds are low.

Tomorrow is the latest I can hold out and now working on $600 to fund this gear. I think for the time being a mini dv camcorder is my solution. I have extra hd space so can I just add the full mini dv tape and then edit in FCP? Would that be less wear n tear on unit? I only use new tapes and then store them away until needed.

Does anyone have details on the sony dcr - pc 105 ?

Glenn Chan December 1st, 2003 05:17 PM

It's less wear and tear to simply cature the whole tape (1 pass instead of 2) and run DV start/stop detection. Make sure the date/time on your camera is set though.

The PC- line of Sony cameras tend to be more expensive than larger versions. A lot of the Sony cameras load from the bottom which is a minor inconvenience. The new ones also have the LCD touch screen, which isn't as nice as real buttons. Most (not all) Sonys have analog-digital passthrough which is really useful but your Canon camera already has that.

Also look out for deck control. Some cameras aren't that good. All the Sonys are excellent with FCP. Samsung for example was in my experience terrible. see http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/qualification.html

The differences in cameras as decks are kinda minor.

Old model cameras are good if you can get a good deal on time and you know they are reliable. Sometimes older model cameras are better than newer versions!

Sean Sheehan December 2nd, 2003 12:57 PM

thanks

Thanks for all the information and details. Purchased Canon zr 60 ( 1 year parts n service) thru BH Photo.
Its not what I wanted for, however, with a store credit and low budget it seemed like the best option.
Hope their will be no issues with FCP 4

Thanks Again....

Sean Sheehan
Soundspeed Productions