DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 30th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Finally bought FCP 4.0, but...

Finally broke down and bought FCP 4 after problems with my arse backwards way of installing FCP 1 and FCP 3 upgrade. I just transferred the programs to a firewire drive and back to the G5. Didn't do so great this time around.

I also bought a 120 gb firewire drive (Lacie), only to find out CompUSA is offering, for just $10 more, a 200 gb FW Drive for $200. Of course, I have to mail in the rebate, and I always forget to do that. I'm debating taking this drive back, pay $19 to restock, then buy the CompUSA drive. Of course, I'm nowhere near either store (Apple or CompUSA) and I already have the drive plugged in. It's almost feels like a hassle...And murphy's law, of course. Buy one, find out later there's a better deal. Sigh...

heath
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Warden

It'll be cheaper still after the holidays. The retailers are not discounting as much this year as last (with a few exceptions). Digital cameras may be an exception. The big discounts in electronics will probably be after the first of the year. Again, I'll repeat my warning to wait until after MacWorld SF (first week of January) to buy Apple hardware.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff,

Are there any rumors about major leaps in external HDs with mega storage coming out after MacWorld?
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4
Warden

No, but I suspect the big drives (160gb plus) will come down in price. Last summer I bought a WD 160gb drive for $99 USD at Office Depot. So, the prices can definetly go lower. It wouldn't surprise me to see the 200gb or even the 250's go for $99 after rebate.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:06 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

And those are reliable?! Wow...that's three to four times cheaper than here. If they're reliable, I'll definitely order from overseas.
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #6
Warden

The larger drives seem just as reliable. They are in heavy use at the bigger post houses for their internal media networks.

Old December 6th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you buy overseas you have to watch out for customs, shipping, *brokerage fees (they can be outrageous), and taxes. Some of the good retailers like newegg.com don't ship overseas. I live in canada and I can't get a lot of the US deals. But sometimes they pop up... 120GB for around USD$80 after rebate (around $110CDN).

There might be hot deals sites for your country.

Big drives should be more reliable than a larger number of cheaper drives. They have other advantages like taking up less space, require less cooling, being more future-proof, and being faster. For video editing it makes sense to get the biggest drives you can afford. You can actually use up all of it even if you buy too much (keep old projects on there).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite