DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   finalcutpro4 questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/17785-finalcutpro4-questions.html)

David Slingerland December 1st, 2003 01:10 PM

finalcutpro4 questions

I have a lot of problems starting up. It takes far more time for it to "load' a project and so does "saving" it . Quitting takes also a long time and sometimes the timeline and other windows will dissapear but the spacebar with menu will stay for several seconds before a total quit. I have also had a few unexpected quits for no appearant reason. Something with the settings? It is a new project, so not a fcp3 project...
Computer is a 1.25 mhz single G4 processor running at OSX 10.2.6. with more then 1 gig of working power and a 9000 pro video card (it all came with the computer)

Guest December 1st, 2003 01:18 PM

Have you repaired your permissions using the Boot CD?

Are you using FCP 3.0.4 for OS X?

Are you importing the project through the card or FireWire?

If the card what are you saving the file as?

When you drop the file in the timeline is there a redline on top or a greenline or none at all?

David Slingerland December 1st, 2003 02:04 PM

no three never gave me any problems. Its finalcut4. It gives me just problems, nothing to do with the card or ...what?
I imported the files the regular way through firewire, saved the project on the hard disc but it just is a slow starter, not just this project but also another one I am working on.

Guest December 1st, 2003 03:01 PM

When you drop the file in the timeline is there a redline on top or a greenline or none at all?

You Might have to repair your permissions using the Boot CD?

Whenever you install an update or even lots of application it's good to repair them.

David Slingerland December 1st, 2003 03:08 PM

That depends on whether i rendered it ...but i gues that is what you mean don't you? It is a new install, only installed program two weeks ago...and from the beginning it has been slow starting...

Guest December 1st, 2003 03:33 PM

Do you have the Jaguar CD?

David Slingerland December 1st, 2003 03:35 PM

yes 10.2.6

Guest December 1st, 2003 04:04 PM

Put the CD in Start it up holding down the "C" key you will see it starting up as you would be loading the software. From there go to the menu form the top left go to "Disk Utility" follow the instructions and this should clean up the some off the problems.

Jeff Donald December 1st, 2003 04:10 PM

How many drives, what size, how full are they, are they partitioned and how are you capturing to them?

Guest December 1st, 2003 04:12 PM

Was going to get to that since you chimed in you got it from here.......

Later

David Slingerland December 1st, 2003 05:51 PM

thanks fella's I am going to give that all a try. But it is going to be tomorrow night because its bedtime over here. Harddisk is not ful30% its a 120 gig jef. But I think the advise about the rendering might be the key issue here. I will try it!! greetings

David Slingerland December 3rd, 2003 02:15 PM

I think it had to do with the way the shots were rendered because when completely rendered startup time is considerable faster. I have heard however that FCP4.0 has a "bug" were files mysteriously increase in size...true or false?

Guest December 3rd, 2003 03:10 PM

It depends on your settings when you import them, as to bug not in my backyard have I heard of this. Some people as to the way they have set up their computer with their drives, OS X what version, to the cards that are installed.

My original question as to was there a green line or red line across the timeline would have told me that your settings are off or your card if you where using one was converting the file different as to what FCP liked. So you set your settings to configure with this.

As to your permissions I will ask this again to all that are out there to fix them once you do a major update or a major install of software. This is akin to running Norton’s but different, as the langue has changed.