DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Audition footage from FC

Hey guys, I just shot three hours worth of auditions on an HDV camera (canon hd20) and loaded them onto my Final Cut to look at. Now my producer wants to look at them and she can't come over and doesn't want to wait for DVDs. I have one of those deluxe accounts at Vimeo so what is the fastest way I can put large amounts of footage from FC Studio to the web, what's the best workflow? It doesn't have to be HD or even quite SD. If anyone has ideas I'd be most grateful:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Trustee

I never tried to handle hours of video in one sitting! The only thing I can think of, if you have already logged and captured your clips, is to put them on the timeline, or break into several sequences that are a manageable size, and then output via quicktime conversion to one of the low-res choices, such as broadband low or even dialup, if you can stand the quality hit. What I don't know is if your provider can use quicktime files, and just how painfully looooong this is going to take....! / Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

.MP4 files... mp4 codec will process faster but .h264 will look better. Give it about 900kb/s and that is high quality, not hd. Put resolution at 740x480? aac audio at 64kb/s...

All that hrs of video will chew your monthly cap quite a bit...
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't see a win in the amount of time to upload three hours of video versus transcoding and burning DVDs. Your producer sounds impatient and dare I say inexperienced (the "I want it ASAP/ No time to wait for DVDs" attitude is what hints at that, for me).

Do either of you have an FTP server you can upload to? If not, I would think that a service like YouSendIt would be handy, however you are still going to need to output a more manageable, upload-friendly format.

Sending QT clips using H.264 codec (in compressor, set the Video settings to single-pass, frame rate=current, data rate=automatic, quality=high. In the Geometry tab, set dimensions to either "50% of source". A good option, but will add time to the compression, is to enable the Timecode Generator video filter to burn-in the timecode) is a good idea.

Using the settings I outlined, a 29 minute XDCAM EX clip that is 7.4 GB in size was reduced to 307 MB, as an example. Sending that through YouSendIt is going to be much better on your bandwidth and sanity than sending the HDV clips!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite