Help! JVC deck not recognized by FCP4 in G5...??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 4th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Help! JVC deck not recognized by FCP4 in G5...???

Hello, all. I'm trying to set up a brand new JVC SR-VS30U deck to use with Final Cut Pro 4 on a G5. FCP4 doesn't recognize that the deck is on and connected via Firewire. I tried using my MiniDV camera (DVX100) as a deck, and it works perfectly, so I know it's not the computer that doesn't work.

If anyone knows what settings to use on FCP4, or if you know how to set up the JVC deck to be recognized by the program, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #2

Have you gone to setup and change the setting to Basic FireWire and then try non-controllable device?
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Warden

Not to alarm you but I don't see the deck on the list of Apple FCP 4 certified products. These issues have come up in the past and not always are they a problem. But if Tom's suggestion doesn't work, I'd call Apple to see if your deck is supported by FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Tom,
Good idea. I'll try it in a second, and post back.

Jeff,
I actually did speak with the people at Apple, and they said to check in System Profiler to see if the OS recognized the Firewire connection. It didn't, and he said if the OS doesn't see it there, FCP definitely won't see it there.

However, I've read a bunch of other posts at the Apple discussion forums about other people using this exact same deck with a Mac, and it works fine! So, I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong (i.e. not flipping some switch), or if the deck simply is incompatible. The guy at B&H said it was compatible with Macs, so if it isn't, I'll have to take it back for a refund, but I really don't want to do that...

Anyways, if anyone else has gotten this to work, please post! Thanks again.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #5

OK I checked into the JVC SR-VS30U and it is not supported at this time however since this deck is new to the states meaning time wise Apple will supply a fix on the next update I bet.

This deck is one of the hotest ones around so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.....and there are work arounds in the mean time.

By the way did you download 4.0.1 or 4.1 as of yet?
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Tom,
I tried your suggestion, but no luck. Also, I'm using FCP 4.1, which is the latest version I think. If you know of any potential work-arounds, or know who does know, that would be wonderful! Thanks for the quick reply.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #7
Warden

Apple FCP doesn't support all products from all vendors. Just look at the supported list and you'll see. There can be many reason why your system does not see the deck and someone else's does. It is these inconsistencies that Apple can't predict. That's why your deck is not currently supported. I would not count on Apple supporting the deck in the future. They may or may not. If it was my deck I would return it to B & H and get one of the supported decks.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #8

When you go to the "Log and Capture" window and then click on the third tab “Capture Settings” over you have several choices to choose from. Changing them here you get a quicker response to if it’s going to work or not.

Please try the following:

non-controllable device

FireWire NTSC

FireWire NTSC Basic

as you check these play your tape from the unit and press stop and play on each setting this will make sure you are not getting a signal.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Tom,
I just tried your newest suggestion, but get the same results. It's just not seeing the deck over Firewire. I guess it really is incompatible.

Jeff,
I'll probably take it to B&H tomorrow. I'd love to get one of the supported decks, but they all cost $1600! I just don't have that much cash right now. That's why I got this one, because it's half that price. Ugh...

I also called JVC tech support and left a messsage, so hopefully they might have some other input. But at this point I doubt it. So, anyways, thanks for the advice & suggestions. I'll let you know how this all ends up.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #10
Warden

Panasonic used to have a certified deck in the $1,000 range (I thought). But I don't see it on B & H's site. You may have to do some digging, but might be able to find a deck that works in your range. You might also want to consider getting another camera to capture with.

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #11

As to the Panasonic deck for 1,000 that was discontinued the AG-DV2000.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #12

Here is a work around, could you use your camera just to import the footage. IDO NOT like to use the heads of a camera as they can wear down quicker than a cameras head, also please remember not to mix up wet and dry tapes as when your done using one you should clean the heads.

I hope you have a camera.
Old December 5th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Well, I went to B&H today and returned the deck for a refund. They were very nice about it, and after checking the equipment thoroughly to make sure it was in good condition (it was mint; I opened it yesterday) they gave me a full refund. I inquired about the Panasonic deck Jeff mentioned, but they don't have it anymore. The only other thing they have in that price range is a Panasonic AG-DV1DC Portable Mini DV VTR for $899, but it's not on the supported devices page at Apple, so I didn't risk it. I'll be using my camera for the time being, and my brother has a cheap-o Samsung MiniDV camcorder, so if it works maybe I'll end up using that instead of the DVX100.

So to wrap up: Thanks again Tom and Jeff for all your help. And anyone else thinking about the JVC SR-VS30U to use as a deck with a Power Mac G5, beware. It didn't work for me, and according to Apple, it probably won't work for you, at least for the time being.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I think you guys are getting too worked up over the "supported devices" with FCP thing. I have a Samsung SCD55 (cheapo camera) and FCP cannot control the camera well. However, it works fine as a non-controllable device. The supported devices thing just means that FCP can control your deck/camera for log and capture and things like that. Poor deck control means you'll have to push the buttons on the camera manually which is a huge pain. The Samsung can still do log and capture- I just have to control it myself.

The deck's firewire is probably just broken. I think JVC decks had a problem with that but I can't find out where I heard it from. JVC usually doesn't make the most reliable equipment so that might be a good reason to stay away from the Junk Video Corporation.

2- Mixing different brands of DV tapes in a deck/camcorder may or may not cause problems for you. It did in the past but Sony and Maxell reformulated their tapes (long time ago) so it's not "supposed" to happen again.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #15
Major Player

Glenn,
I agree, somewhat. I know a bunch of products not on the list of supported devices still work, either fully, or partially. In my case, the JVC deck didn't work at all (I should rephrase that: it worked fine as a VCR with my NTSC monitor, but not wit the G5). Also, after returning the deck, I asked one of the guys that works at B&H, and he definitely said that everyone should stay away from this deck.. He said it's caused nothing but problems, and is not worth the money at all. Of course, he'll still sell it to you if you really want it, but strongly advises peope to go with a different deck. At this point, I'd have to agree.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite