DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaner Goofiness

It seems I just can't win. Cleaner 6.0.1 seems to be broken. When I encode video, it messes it up, skewing it horribly. Check out this pic for an example. It ONLY does this in OS X. It works freakin' fantastic in OS 9 with the same settings (except that it uses KB instead of kb in OS X for some odd reason when tweaking Sorenson data rates).

Any idea what's going on here? Why is my Mac evil? Are all Macs evil?

EDIT: It only seems to do this with wide-aspect ratio Quicktimes, or when I change the aspect ratio in any way from the original. Again, this does not affect OS 9.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

More info needed

What format is the original footage? 4:3? 16:9? I gather the latter but just to be sure.

Can you copy the text from the Summary tab (of your Cleaner Settings) here?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The original footage is usually flagged for 4:3 as it comes from a DVX100. If I crop letterbox footage I get the skewing... same if I stretch the footage in FCP to be an anamorphic DV file and then change the aspect ratio in Cleaner.

I can't copy and paste the text from Cleaner, but I can do the next best thing and post a screenshot of the summary
Old December 15th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #4

Nothing jumps out as being a problem. I am assuming, then, that you are exporting from FCP 4 (as Quicktime DV or as FCP file?) and that you are sending Cleaner 30fps 4:3 footage which you then crop to 430x240? What aspect ratio in Cleaner do you select under the crop? (ex: Same as source, same as cropped, etc.)

I wonder if some of your troubles in this thread could be related to this.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Could you not export from QuickTime Pro as a QT movie yet use MPEG4 to compress it or to stream it?

Question is what do you want your final source to be?
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #6
Warden

On the Apple FCP discussion pages there are comments relating to Cleaner not working well with compressor. I can't test any of this for you Ted, as I'm still on FCP 3.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The footage is 24fps progressive, and I want it to be Sorenson 3 24fps. I use unconstrained for the cropping and aspect ratio, because I know exactly what size the video needs to be (plus I like the control).

Works great in OS 9.

I'm amazed that you're still on FCP3, Jeff. You seem to know quite a bit about version 4. Though wouldn't someone use Cleaner or Compressor?
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #8

Ted,

You're right...it would be either/or.

I got a similar look recently when I accidentally tried to compress a PAL sequence made in FCP as NTSC in Cleaner.

Have you double-checked your FCP settings? Both the sequence settings and the export settings?

Here's what should be the sure fire way of getting a result:

1. Export as "Quicktime Movie" then select "uncompressed 10-bit NTSC"
2. Import that into Cleaner and choose one of the Quicktime NTSC presets, being sure to set the ratio for wide screen.
Old December 15th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Did you do a 2:3:3:2 pull down removal upon import and then export in QT with the same settings or converted back?
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I don't need to do a pulldown since the source file and the Quicktime will be 24 progressive. I am at work right now so I will try the uncompressed option a little later and let you know my results.
Old December 15th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #11
Warden

Quote:
I'm amazed that you're still on FCP3, Jeff. You seem to know quite a bit about version 4. Though wouldn't someone use Cleaner or Compressor?
I have access to a computer with FCP 4 at school, but we're not teaching it yet. We'll probably switch in the summer or next fall. I will purchase FCP 4 for myself when I upgrade to a G5 in the next month or so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Exporting as an uncompressed movie worked! I guess Cleaner can be a bit finicky with DV files.

Thanks to everyone!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite