DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   New Mac Pro 4,1 (Feb 2009) and FCP 6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/184373-new-mac-pro-4-1-feb-2009-fcp-6-a.html)

James Venturi April 11th, 2009 02:52 AM

New Mac Pro 4,1 (Feb 2009) and FCP 6

I noticed that on the new Mac Pros (seems like all models with both video cards) that they do not support high quality RT rendering with ProResHQ and 1920x1080 frame size. This works on all other intel macs (except Mini) and on my 2.5ghz dual G5. So its obviously a bug rather than a performance issue.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Mike Barber April 12th, 2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Venturi (Post 1078334)
I noticed that on the new Mac Pros (seems like all models with both video cards) that they do not support high quality RT rendering with ProResHQ and 1920x1080 frame size.

Where exactly did you notice this? Is this something your read or experienced first-hand? And what exactly do you mean by "do no support"?

James Venturi April 12th, 2009 12:10 PM

Problem

I've experienced it first hand on three separate Mac Pro 4,1 models. Two of the three were at the apple store.

Its a pretty simple problem. You can't preview the timeline in High quality in proresHQ at 1920x1080 (assuming you have non-standard footage in the sequence).

Apple said they are working on it. No answer of when they plan to fix it. Pretty serious bug though for a $6000 computer.

Mike Barber April 12th, 2009 12:25 PM

That's interesting. We just got one in for my station at work but haven't had a chance to really test it out. This news about the bug concerns me because I was planning on cutting our company demo reel this week and, since the replacement RAID is not in, was planning on cutting with ProRes instead of uncompressed 8-bit HD. However, chances are I won't be doing much in terms of filters/effects, any colour work would be done in Color... assuming there aren't any issues with ProRes and Color on the new Mac Pros! :-/

James Venturi April 14th, 2009 05:59 PM

ProRes

If your material is in Pro Res, then no problem. It is when you want to mix in other footage with other codecs that you have to render it to view it at high quality. We use Sony EX1, DVCPRO HD and ProResHQ all together.

Nigel Barker April 14th, 2009 11:01 PM

I don't see how it can be a problem of the new Mac Pros per se other than the fact that they have the new graphics cards ergo the problem is with the new graphics cards & this would be the same problem in the previous model Mac Pro with the new graphics cards & would go away if you dropped in one of the older graphics cards.

Do you have a link to some discussion of this in particular where Apple acknowledge the problem?

Cheers

Nigel

James Venturi April 17th, 2009 05:46 AM

It is definately a processor problem

A friend of mine has the same problem with an EFI-X based mac. The same issue happens with the 2.83Ghz and 3.0Ghz Intel Core2Quad, whereas the 2.66Ghz and below seem to work. The video card doesn't seem to make a difference. Apple on a tech support call seemed to say they would forward the issue to engineering and that was it.

James Venturi April 29th, 2009 03:22 PM

the issue

has anyone otherwise run into this issue?