DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 10th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 Footage Shot With Anamorphic 16X9 Lens in FCP4

I have a friend that needs to export a movie for the web. The footage was shot with a Panasonic 24p cam with a anamorphic 16X9 Lens. The footage in FCP is flagged for "Anamorphic". When viewed in the canvas from the timeline, the footage shows with no black bars, and WIDE. He needs to export this video for a web release. When he's exporting it now as "current" with MP4, he's getting black bars. Any help would be appreciated. The frame size of the vid needs to be cut by 50% or 75% for file size reasons. Anyone been in this situation? When he exports, the size of the vid frame is either too wide, or it changes to 4:3 with black bars. Thanks in advance,

Mike

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

When I do this sort of thing I generally export as a FCP movie at full resolution for starters. This will be an anamorphic video however, so if viewed with QuickTime on your computer screen outside of FCP it will have 720 x 480 square pixels and appear "squashed" with everything too tall and skinny.

So to create a full res Quicktime movie in the proper proportions you can use QuickTime Pro (which comes with FCP) to change the size to 854x480. So to make it smaller for the web, just divide those pixel dimensions by any factor. For example, 427 x 240 would be your 50% reduction. You can also change the compressor and frame rate settings to make the file smaller.

Now if the movie is long, or if you're tight on disk space I guess you could change these same settings in the export dialog right inside FCP, but I like using QT Pro for this. I think programs like Cleaner probably also provide ways of doing this, but I've never used them.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response, I'll let ya know if that works for them!

Mike

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite