DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Memory will not release after closing software. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/20640-memory-will-not-release-after-closing-software.html)

Mark Monciardini January 30th, 2004 08:14 PM

Memory will not release after closing software.

This used to happen on my PC lots but now after upgrading to 2 gigs, I need to fix this.

I need help badly. Called Apple Tech support and they do not know the problem.

ok here we go...

1.) I boot my Mac G5 and I have 1.70gig free. Which sounds right.

2.) I open Final Cut 4, I render a 5 minute video or what ever to make it use memory.

3.) I close FCP

4.) Activity monitor STILL says I am using the memory I was using when FCP was Open. No other programs open.

Any insite to this problem will be wonderful. Ofcouse restarting your computer every time you close a program is not very practical.

Jeff Donald January 30th, 2004 08:24 PM

Try reducing the ram to 1.5gb or less. How do you have your ram configured (how many sticks and what size)?

Mark Monciardini January 30th, 2004 11:51 PM

Thanks Jeff,

- 2 256 simms installed in 4 and 5 (factory).

- 2 256mb simms in 3 and 5.

- 2 512 simms installed in 2 and 7.

Still had issues before upgrading my 2 512's today. I just finaly want to figure this out.

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2004 12:28 AM

Are you actually running out of ram or is it just the software not updating the display of ram usage? Try opening a large file in Photoshop and do a couple of operations on the image (run a couple of filters). You should notice the computer slow down and hear a lot of disk operations (Photoshop will be forced to use your HD as virtual memory).

Mark Monciardini January 31st, 2004 12:39 AM

Tried it just now. VM is not used unless I max over 2gigs.

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2004 12:46 AM

The software doesn't display the ram being released when you quit FCP. I just tried it on my PowerBook and I got the same results too. You can leave comments about the Mac OS here.

Mark Monciardini January 31st, 2004 01:11 AM

Thanks Jeff,

When you say "software". Are you meaning the Activity Monitor?

Mark Monciardini January 31st, 2004 01:12 AM

Ok, so I'm taking it as a bug.

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2004 01:14 AM

Sorry, yes Activity Monitor does not reflect the correct state of memory usage after a program is quit. Activity Monitor should update the display, but it does not. You can report this to Apple at the link I provided.

Ted Springer January 31st, 2004 02:24 AM

I assume you are using 10.3. If so, I wouldn't worry. I have noticed that 10.3 does not always update the amount of disk space a folder takes up when you add or delete a significant amount of contents to/from it, but everything still works. After a few minutes to an hour, the amount of space taken is updated. The way it deals with reporting RAM is probably similar.

Also, I'm no pro at dual channel memory (which is what is required on the G5), but isn't it best to have each pair of RAM together? For example, two 512MB sticks in slots 1 and 2, two 32MB sticks in 3 and 4, and two 96Terabyte sticks in 5 and 6 vs all over the place randomly like your setup? Also, you seem to have two sticks of RAM in the same slot. That might cause some problems. :)

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2004 02:28 AM

I noticed the system not updating folder sizes on 10.3, but on 10.3.2 it is corrected on my Powerbook and iMac. My G4 is still on 10.2.8 because of a lingering FCP project.

Mark Monciardini January 31st, 2004 10:10 AM

Yup, sure enough I am using 10.3. According to Apple, the chips are installed correctly. This bug must be reported to apple.

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2004 04:45 PM

Yeah, the slots are numbered weird, Ted. I saw the one at the school and I though it was installed wrong too.

Sharon Fraats February 2nd, 2004 11:10 PM

Have you considered running another app in case there is multiple apps running in the background that are not being shown?

Are some apps that could help in finding out what’s up also they would help in running your system better as well.

MemoryStick

CHUD 3.0.4

Mark Monciardini February 3rd, 2004 01:39 AM

Hey guys, a fellow member sent me a link to this little program for monitoring cpu and memory. It works terrific and is much more accurate then the Activity Monitor.

Check it out, you'll love it:
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

It's called "MenuMeters"