Should I avoid the glossy screen on Macbook pros? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Should I avoid the glossy screen on Macbook pros?

Hi All,

Trying to find out if the general consensus is to avoid the glossy screen due to how it artificially affects contrast and color... An advice would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It does, but more importantly: the glare on these new screens is (to me) really distracting...
It's even more glossy then the first glossy screens on their Macbook Pro's. I suppose the black edge around the screen makes it worse and more distracting.

I do hope that they will offer matte versions again on the 15" Macbook Pro's in the next upgrade... In that regard, the 17" update was a bit comforting.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Major Player

I recently bought a MacBook (just a regular one, not Pro) and one of my considerations was the glossiness of the screen. Whereas the older, CFL-backlit glossy screens (like on the 2009 white MacBook) are a bit dimmer, the brighter, new LED-backlit screens (on the new aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros) are much too reflective -- like a mirror with a picture on the other side. I ended up getting the white MacBook (but also because I also wanted Firewire).

I saw the matte version of the MacBook Pro at the Apple Store yesterday, and I would definitely say it's an improvement over the glossy ones.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

glossy is fine by me

to me, it's really just a matter of personal preference. back when I bought my first macbook 13.3" glossy, I was also concerned about the screen and I had read some sour reviews about it, but also some saying that it was fine. You don't really know until you sit down and put in some hours in front of it...so I went ahead and got one...didn't really have a choice with the white macbook, that's all they offered.

I've had no complaints about the glossy screen to this point, definitely not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. If I'm doing any in depth editing or design work, I usually have it running through an external monitor in clamshell mode anyways. I'm not sure of the technicalities with how the screen affects color and contrast.

Anyways, I just bought a refurb. MacBook Pro recently (early 2008 model...not the new unibody)...it has the glossy, LED-Backlit screen and I think it looks absolutely brilliant, but like I said before, some people just hate the glossy screens.

~brendan
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite