DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Monitor recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/22020-monitor-recommendations.html)

Peter Richardson February 26th, 2004 04:33 PM

Monitor recommendations?

Hey guys--I'm going to be putting together an NLE system pretty soon with a 15" PB and one additional monitor. I wondered if anyone here had some recommendations on the monitor. Ideally I'd like to be able to do some accurate color correction on the monitor. I am open to LCD or CRT, basically anything...except the 23" Apple Cinema Display as it's too expensive. OK, looking forward to suggestions.

Peter

Jaime Valles February 26th, 2004 10:41 PM

I'm using a Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2070SB 22" CRT for video editing. Check it out here:

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/

I use it at 1600x1200 resolution, but it can go much higher. And the image quality is impressive. At less than $700, it's hard to beat.

It is, however, around 60 lbs!!!

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 12:10 AM

Peter,
You will need a good CRT production monitor with calibrated phosphors to do accurate color work.

Peter Richardson February 27th, 2004 01:48 AM

Thanks for the recommendation Jaime, I'll check it out. What made you decide to get this monitor? Ken, can you recommend any monitor that meets these specifications?

Peter

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 01:57 AM

I use a Sony PVM 14L5 but there are many other models and brands. Basically, you're looking for a monitor that can be accurately calibrated (ex: featuring contrast, blue-only, and other requisite controls), rather than a consumer television or computer monitor.

Peter Richardson February 27th, 2004 02:05 AM

Thanks Ken. I checked out the monitor and immediately realized the lack of clarity in my first post. I'm looking for an additional computer monitor, not a client monitor. Can I expect any computer monitors to afford me the color accuracy to be able to do some color correction work? Thanks!

Peter

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 02:19 AM

No, computer monitors operate in a completely different display system and color space.

If your work is destined only for the computer display realm then a good computer monitor may be all you need.

Peter Richardson February 27th, 2004 02:23 AM

Thanks Ken. The work is destined, hopefully, for beyond the computer. It sounds like the client monitor is essential for proper color correction so I will look into this. Do you know how this would intergrate with Xpress Pro? Also, can you recommend a good computer monitor? Thanks!

Peter

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 02:41 AM

Well, I've never found a computer monitor I liked better than Apple's Cinema Displays. I have used a 22" for the past couple of years and it's been fabulous. I'd replace it with the 23" in a heartbeat when the time comes.

By integrating with Xpress Pro I assume you ask how a production monitor would be configured with your editing system. I'm a Final Cut Pro user but I'm pretty confident that the following kneebone-to-thighbone configuration would be similar with Avid. In FCP I set the Preferences to indicate that I have an "External Monitor" connected to my Firewire bus. My editing deck is connected to the computer via FW cable. The production monitor is connected to the deck via analog video and the video is just passed through the deck to the monitor.

There are other variations, such as passing through a camera that has a video-out facility. But the gist is the same.

Peter Richardson February 27th, 2004 11:04 AM

Thanks Ken. The firewire method you describe is the one I usually use, as well. I wasn't sure, however, how color corrections would be reflected in the monitor. How does that work in final cut? Can you see your color corrections in real time on the client monitor? Also, I'm assuming that out of your DV deck you take a component signal into the monitor? Thanks for the help!

Peter

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

How does that work in final cut? Can you see your color corrections in real time on the client monitor?
You betcha.

Quote:

Also, I'm assuming that out of your DV deck you take a component signal into the monitor?
Yes, actually a composite signal in the case of my Panasonic deck.

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 27th, 2004 11:24 AM

And just to know, what the average indie filmaker that doesn't have 2000 bucks to invest on a monitor do to calibrate their colors?

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 11:31 AM

Good question. Basically, you do the best you can do. By that I mean you use the best consumer television you have available, preferably one that has contrast, brightness, and chroma controls. Feed it SMPTE bars and follow the calibration procedure just as if it was a pro monitor.

Note, however, that there are many good production monitors available for less money. JVC and Panasonic, in particular, both have models priced for just a few hundred dollars.

Peter Richardson February 27th, 2004 12:29 PM

Thanks Ken. 2G's is def. a lot to spend for now on a monitor, but glad to hear there are other serviceable options. Can you recommend any monitors in particular (although I'm sure this topic has been written on ad infinitum on the boards and will do a search). I will be curious to see if Xpress Pro can do the realtime color correction in the client monitor like FCP. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Peter

Ken Tanaka February 27th, 2004 12:41 PM

I don't have specific recommendations; I've only used Sony's. But do poke around here and at B&H and EVS. The features that seem to make thee biggest price difference are resolution and multi-format ability. Size, of course, also matters.

Peter Richardson February 28th, 2004 01:30 AM

Thanks Ken, I will check it out.

Peter

Linc Kesler March 2nd, 2004 11:42 PM

Here are a couple of further thoughts, at least one of which may be way off, so I won't be the least offended if someone says so. The first is that if you are editing from a powerbook, you can use the s-video or composite out (w or w/out adaptor, depending on your model) to run an analogue external monitor if you are not running a camera or deck (the "external monitor on FCP recognizes it).

The second is the wilder one. When I was really short on cash, someone recommended to me I use an old Commodore monitor for editing (evidently they were made by someone respectable and had none of the color boosting controls common on TVs). It actually proved to be fairly adjustable, though it had no blue calibration mode (gel filters were helpful for this, which I already had), and a couple of fairly experienced people looked at the setup and thought it was not bad. Not a real monitor, of course, but at $30 it was a deal, and relatively compact to boot. Harder to find now though, depending on where you live.

Linc Kesler

Tim Buege March 3rd, 2004 08:57 AM

Linc,

I don't think your second suggestion is that far out. I'm using my old Commodore monitor for color editing. I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but after some tinkering with the controls, I've got something that's not too bad. I used to use my TV (27" RCA) which worked out real well, but the TV and Computer system are in separate rooms right now. Regarding who made the Commodore monitor, I believe it's a JVC. I can't remember where I saw it, but it looked just like the Commodore 1702 Monitor. The biggest problem I have with it is it's low resolution. Don't expect to see any detail or sharpness.

Peter Richardson March 3rd, 2004 03:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. A lot of this depends on Avid Xpress Pro--whether it will support monitor out like FCP. I should have my copy by next week so I will be able to check it out. I think this documentary that I'm doing may be the last thing I do on the Avid though before I switch to Final Cut. In regards to the computer monitor, I decided, after a great deal of research, to go with the Samsung 192T 19". The Apple Display was just too damn expensive (with the savings I can afford to get an nice CRT). I was also looking at the NEC LCD1980SX but the reviews on the Samsung were a little better. Also, my bro has one and likes it. I'll let you know what i think. thanks again for the help,

Peter

P.S. I am in LOVE with my Powerbook. Like seriously I'm going to marry it.