DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Brightening up a shot

Hi,

I'm a Premiere Pro user, so I don't know what the Mac term is.. :-)

I've got a guy whose footage is wrongly exposed, with bright background, and a kinda shadowy interviewee.

In premiere, I'd use levels, or shadow/highlight to fix it.

The guy is fairly new to FCP, and tried color correction, and that looked too washed out, so I suggested levels and s/h, but he couldn't find them.

What should I tell him to look for to fix the shot?

I told him to look on a forum before to fix something, and he didn't know what a forum was, so it's quicker for me to ask the question for him!
Yoof of today eh? :-)

thx!

Chris.
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Final Cut's levels are found in the 3 point color corrector. (I think that's what the filter is called?). Under the 3 color wheels there are 3 lines for levels.
If you have the newest final cut, someone on this forum actually made a levels plugin that you can add to your effects. It doesn't work with my FCP version, but I think it emulates the Photoshop levels people are more accustomed to. You can search the forums for that thread, if that would help.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Learn to use the 3-point color correction filter. It's very nice. After you adjust your levels, the saturation slider is right there in case things got washed. And then you have 3 color wheels to tweak the hues in each of the 3 ranges you adjusted the levels in. Also, don't forget to open up the scopes under the tools window so you can see some instrumentation.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite