DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   What brand of memory/where to get? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/22926-what-brand-memory-where-get.html)

Nik Hanselmann March 14th, 2004 10:21 PM

What brand of memory/where to get?

My DP 1.25 ghz G4 is extremely picky about memory. I've gone through Crucial and PNY, both sticks of memory have produced kernel panics in FCP.

It seems that the only time that cheap memory shows their defects for me is when I try and render something in FCP.

So, I was wondering, where do those of you with Powermacs get your memory? I don't want to pay premium for Apple memory, but if thats the only brand that can guarantee stability I guess I'll have to.

Thanks

Kevin Burnfield March 16th, 2004 06:00 PM

After you check any of the sponsors of DVInfo I will recommend

www.18004memory.com which is coast to coast memory.

I've bought from them for a few years and no only do they have good prices but they have good guarantees and unlike a lot of places they do a lot of Mac Memory so they actually know what they are talking about .

and they don't rape you on shipping either.

Rob Belics March 16th, 2004 07:02 PM

Memory doesn't make any individual applications fail Memory is memory, a commodity item. If it works with your other programs and OS then FCP won't fail due to it.

More later, 'American Idol' is on :)

Nik Hanselmann March 18th, 2004 12:46 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Belics : Memory doesn't make any individual applications fail Memory is memory, a commodity item. If it works with your other programs and OS then FCP won't fail due to it.

More later, 'American Idol' is on :) -->>>

Well, I think FCP really puts the memory to the test. When I had my faulty memory installed, I couldn't render anything in FCP without a kernel panic. However, if I take the stick out, I can.

However, it's strange. I have no kernel panics with the memory unless I install FCP. Once installed, I get kernel panics in FCP and during other programs. While it happens randomly in other programs, I can replicate the KPs in FCP 100%.

All I know is that my computer works fine when I take that memory out.

I guess my MDD is just really finicky with the memory I put in. Thanks for the suggestion Kevin, I'll check them out.

Jeff Donald March 18th, 2004 06:30 AM

Several programs, most notably FCP and Photoshop, are big memory hogs and make extensive use of it. Because they use huge chunks of memory it is more likely they will encounter a bad sector, if one exists. Most memory, if purchased from a reputable dealer, has a lifetime guarantee. I also use Coast to Coast for memory purchases.

Imran Zaidi March 18th, 2004 07:55 AM

Crucial sells memory made by Micron, which has always been amongst the best quality RAM you can buy. Having sold a variety of brands through a company I once used to assemble and sell computers for, we were often at the mercy of which manufacturer's memory we would get. Micron was always a sight for sore eyes, because of all the different chips we sold, these ones almost never came back.

Note the word 'almost' - nobody's perfect. Just make sure that you do handle your memory correctly. Never ever touch it with your bare hands or with anything other than an anti static bag or the package it comes in, unless one of your hands is either on an anti-static mat or touching the metal frame of your plugged in computer. You would not believe how much poor handling can damage RAM, or at the very least, reduce its life span by years. It is NOT a myth.

Rob Belics March 18th, 2004 11:58 AM

FCP may be using that memory because it's there. If it is bad then you'll get the fault. You could try and remove your other memory stick and put that one in as your only memory and see if you get a fault.

It doesn't matter how "hard" a program uses memory. All memory is accessed using the same timing mechanism whether it's accessing one byte or a million.