DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   from HD 16:9 to DV 4:3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/229339-hd-16-9-dv-4-3-a.html)

Michele Stocco April 23rd, 2009 05:03 AM

from HD 16:9 to DV 4:3

Hey guys,
first of all it's my first post on this forum, even if it has always been a great help for my job. so thanks in advance!
so, i made a commercial shooted in DVCPRO 720p, and i made all the work in a timeline with the same settings (DVCPRO HD 50, progressive etc.).
Now, since i need to make a master that's a 4:3 DV-Pal, i export my timeline and put it directly into a DV-pal one, so that it will directly match the frame size to a 4:3 letterbox. obviously there's a loss of quality since it's a DV timeline, but i can't really understand why the footage suddenly appears to be interlaced, even if the setting of the DV timeline is progressive. i mean, watching it in a TV monitor it has the smoothness of a progressive footage, but some strange lines (really similar to the one of a bad interlaced) appears in the footage.
any idea and/or suggestion? what am i missing? thanks in advance!
michele

Ron Evans April 23rd, 2009 06:52 AM

These are likely scaling artifacts going from HD to SD. I am PC based, so not sure the solution for Mac, but in PC world Vdub using Lanczos3 or bilinear seems to provide the best scaling.

Ron Evans

Shaun Roemich April 23rd, 2009 09:26 AM

Michele: First of all, Welcome to the Forum and may you find the answer to you problem here.

On a matter of protocol: You have posted the same issue to two Sub Forums. That is in violation of DVI Forum policy. In future, it's best to figure out (or TRY...) which forum a question is best suited to.

Again, welcome and good luck!

Pete Bauer April 23rd, 2009 11:53 AM

Threads merged into the NLE Editing on the Mac forum. Yes, unfortunately a by-product of the recent site upgrade is that the menu ribbon with the TOS / Rules link is missing so new members can't read them. We'll get that fixed as soon as possible after NAB.

And of course, a warm welcome to you Michele!

Mathieu Ghekiere April 23rd, 2009 11:56 AM

Do you have access to Compressor 3? Tried that route?
(exporting in HD out of Final Cut Pro, convert in Compressor)

Michele Stocco April 24th, 2009 04:11 AM

ehm, sorry about the double post, it won't happen again.
i tried with compressor, and the result is better... so stupid i didn't think about that since i use compressor 10 times per day. i just thought that FCP could do a good job recompressing the movie in a DV timeline. but obviously, let do the job to who can do the job!
the only weird thing that happens is that i have to change the field dominance of the exported footage once i import it in FCP since it says to me lower field, even if in the compressor preferences i leave the field dominance as "same as the output" (same things happens if i change it to "progressive"). what does it happen? i had the same problem exporting from After effects to FCP (i was told that it's a problem of bad communication between software).
maybe for this reason the lines even if are much smaller are still there. or is it a problem of the low quality of the DV compression?