DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   iMac 24" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/233973-imac-24-a.html)

Chad Solo April 24th, 2009 03:10 PM

iMac 24"

I'm thinking on getting the Imac 24" model and wondering will it do the job for editing HDV from my FX1? I've always have had a PC and just getting tired of all the problems so I want to try something new. Don't have the money for a Mac Pro so the Imac will do. Thank's for any suggestions you all can give.

Thank's

Christopher Drews April 24th, 2009 05:15 PM

Yeah. It will be overkill for HDV. I'd recommend a G-RAID2 w/ firewire 800 for your media drive. Just keep in mind when you connect the firewire 800 drive at the same time as your FX1, the port speed with downclock to 400.

You should try to get your hands on FCP Express or Studio. That is what most people are using with OSX. Although, Premiere works and if you really want to go cheap, just get iLife w/ iMovie '09.

You tend to be limited on components to add to this system since there is no PCIe bus on a iMac - so look into ways of getting around that fact - ie, Matrox makes devices that bypass those limitations (the MXO1).

Hope this helps,
-C

Nick Gordon April 25th, 2009 08:36 AM

My iMac works fine with my XH-A1. I think the new ones come with 4GB RAM, but if not, upgrade RAM to that.

Chad Solo April 25th, 2009 04:39 PM

Thank's all for the help it's much appreciated. One more question there are 3 different Imacs in the 24" size 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz, 3.06GHz. Will the smaller one be good our should I get the 3.06? Thank's again for the help.

Chet

Nick Gordon April 25th, 2009 08:32 PM

Well, on the basis that you can never have too much horsepower, I'd suggest you go for the 3.06 if you can afford it. However, if money's tight (when isn't it?), either of the others should suffice. Mine's a 2.16 (from late 2007) and it does the job

Boyd Ostroff April 26th, 2009 02:29 PM

I got a 24" 3.06ghz iMac last fall and it works like a champ with HDV (Sony z1) as well as some other more exotic formats which we use for digital projection here at the Opera Company of Philadelphia.

If you can afford it, go for the fastest one but I suspect any of them will still work fine. I have used a variety of firewire 800 and 400 drives for media and no problems with any of them. Using a Matrox MXO and 23" Apple Cinema display for an external monitor. That also works very well, but the matrox software seems a bit "quirky" and tends to blank the screen and refresh it every so often when you switch applications. No big deal, but it can be a little startling sometimes.

Shaun Roemich April 26th, 2009 02:38 PM

I'm editing ProRes 720P60 on my white 20" iMac 21.6GHz with only 2GB of RAm and I'm doing fine OTHER THAN a lack of compatibility with some Motion Templates in FCP, some effects which can't render at the chosen size and a general reliability issue surrounding Motion BUT I suspect that is due to the video card in my iMac. I couldn't wait for the more powerful card so I got the "standard" when I bought mine.

Oh, I added an external 21" monitor (an LG) to increase the size of my workspace as well. Drives are all external LaCie FW drives hooked up via FW400.

HEAVY comp's are a bit slow rendering and MPEG-2 exports are painful but I try to save those so overnight and lunch breaks etc.

Chad Solo April 26th, 2009 03:32 PM

Again thank's for the help. I'm guessing I will still be able to hook the Imac to my big screen Sony 1080P and stream my movies right? It's going to be fun learning this new system.

Thank's
chet

Shaun Roemich April 26th, 2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Solo (Post 1133550)
I'm guessing I will still be able to hook the Imac to my big screen Sony 1080P and stream my movies right?

miniDVI to HDMI adaptor?

Aric Mannion April 27th, 2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1133569)
miniDVI to HDMI adaptor?

I'm also wondering if I can hook the new "miniDVI" computers to my monitor. It is an HDMI monitor and right now I am going from my powerbook's DVI out to HDMI. What is this miniDVI stuff? Will I need to buy a new adapter?? The last one cost me $50, why did they change it -or does it use the same cable?

Christopher Drews April 28th, 2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1133517)
Using a Matrox MXO and 23" Apple Cinema display for an external monitor. That also works very well, but the matrox software seems a bit "quirky" and tends to blank the screen and refresh it every so often when you switch applications. No big deal, but it can be a little startling sometimes.

Just wanted to point out that this is not specific to iMac's but every system will suffer (even my OSx86). Application switching isn't something Matrox does well at all. I found that if you hit Apple + F12 (refresh a/v devices in FCP) it will bring back the MXO fast.

-C

Nigel Barker April 28th, 2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric Mannion (Post 1134026)
I'm also wondering if I can hook the new "miniDVI" computers to my monitor. It is an HDMI monitor and right now I am going from my powerbook's DVI out to HDMI. What is this miniDVI stuff? Will I need to buy a new adapter?? The last one cost me $50, why did they change it -or does it use the same cable?

My MacBook Pro has a full size DVI socket while my wife's MacBook requires a micro-DVI>DVI adaptor. They cost just $19. The newest models of iMAC & MacBooks have a Mini DisplayPort which requires a different adaptor to connect to a VGA/DVIHDMI monitor. These adaptors cost $29.

Brian David Melnyk April 29th, 2009 11:44 PM

be aware that Apple seems to be having problems with quality control and lots of iMac screen issues. go to Apple support discussions and check out threads on video tearing, horizontal lines, 'stagelights', etc. etc. my 2 year old 17" iMac, like thousands of others, is multiplying screen lines like rabbits, and Apple is not responding with a recall or repair program...
brand new 24" iMacs seem to be suffering issues also.

Mike Chandler April 30th, 2009 02:46 PM

The imac will do fine with the exception of compositing, such as green screen. And if you do get those g-raids, get the new #3 with sata, if and when you upgrade to the mac pro.

Brian Luce April 30th, 2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Chandler (Post 1135625)
The imac will do fine with the exception of compositing, such as green screen. And if you do get those g-raids, get the new #3 with sata, if and when you upgrade to the mac pro.

Can you explain that? I don't understand, I thought the limiting factors for green screen are codec/sampling and editing software, not computer.