Quad or 8 core Mac Pro? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Niels, I am glad that you opted for the dual processor as that is what I personally would have done. In fact it is exactly what I did when I ordered myself the previous model Mac Pro.

You can't go wrong ordering RAM from Crucial as they guarantee compatibility. I just checked on their web site & 'Wow!' those 4GB memory sticks are really expensive. 10x the price of the 2GB sticks! Buying 4x2GB sticks from Crucial will still save over 200 Euros so is worth doing.

BTW It's very easy to add disk drives on the Mac Pro. You just screw a S-ATA drive in one of the three empty disk carriers. You can buy 2TB disks now so you will have plenty of scope for expansion.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Yep seconded! Wise decision Niels. I've just landed another big UK wide corporate video job today so I'm hoping to push the button (finally) on buying my Mac Pro tomorrow.

:-)

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; May 7th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, makes me feel even more comfortable with my decision. Congrats on landing the new job Andy! I am pulling the trigger tomorrow as well, can't we get a big discount if we order at the same time Andy ;)
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #19
Major Player

When you order the 8-core, have Apple include 8Gb of Ram in 2x4 combination - ie, in four slots. Its an extra $90 - that was my price 2 weeks ago. Then you can easily add more 2Gb in the remaining four slots to go to 16Gb Ram. This is the most economical way to use all the slots right now - without taking a mortgage out to buy 4Gb modules.
Otherwise you will have to toss out the default ram and replace with 6 or 8Gb modules.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #20
Inner Circle

There appears to be a bit of a debate going on as to whether or not it's best to fill only THREE slots of the memory bank (not all 4) with RAM with these new triple channel Nehalem Mac Pros - see some of the links I provided earlier on this forum, such as this one.

Pro Apps on Nehalem Mac Pro - Cores? Memory?
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Jon,

I did all ready :) I ordered the 8-core with 8 GB (4 x 2GB) of memory and will order the other 8 GB with a 3rd party when I have the monster machine.

I'll follow that thread Andy, thanks!
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #22
Inner Circle

OK, I finally (!) pushed the button on this as I need the extra capability as my corporate video business is getting pretty busy! The exact spec I ordered is below. Hopefully this baby will arrive sometime next week and I'll let you know how I get on!

Apple Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Nehalem (i.e. 8 Core)
12GB Ram (6 x 2GB)
1TB System Drive and 3 further 1TB drives (i.e. to fill all 4 bays)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Card
One Superdrive
Wired Apple Mighty Mouse
Wired Standard UK Keyboard
Airport Extreme WiFi (n)
iWork 09
Mini Display Port to DVI Adapter
3 Year Applecare Protection
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
OK, I finally (!) pushed the button on this as I need the extra capability as my corporate video business is getting pretty busy! The exact spec I ordered is below. Hopefully this baby will arrive sometime next week and I'll let you know how I get on!

Apple Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Nehalem (i.e. 8 Core)
12GB Ram (6 x 2GB)
1TB System Drive and 3 further 1TB drives (i.e. to fill all 4 bays)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Card
One Superdrive
Wired Apple Mighty Mouse
Wired Standard UK Keyboard
Airport Extreme WiFi (n)
iWork 09
Mini Display Port to DVI Adapter
3 Year Applecare Protection

Do you mind me asking how much all that set you back? I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro but not sure I want to go for the whole enchilada at this point.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Well if you configure this spec on the Apple UK website it will (at 19th May 2009) cost just over 5,128 quid (well, just two pence over....) BUT I bought it from a very well know UK Apple reseller (I won't name them as they are not a DVinfo sponsor) and I paid considerably less than that (but still a heck of a lot!!!!)
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I am receiving mine monday. I am on a holiday now, but I can't wait till I get home and install the whole thing :)

I paid around 5000 euro's for it, without a discount, but it will pay back very soon as my workflow will be a lot faster.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Andy and Niels. I don't know why I didn't notice where you were from before I asked. I don't know how that converts into US dollars right now.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Wall View Post
Thanks Andy and Niels. I don't know why I didn't notice where you were from before I asked. I don't know how that converts into US dollars right now.
Yesterday, the pound jumped more than one and a half cents to hit $1.5476 (US), its highest level since mid-December. It rose against the euro to 1.1410 euros. Any way you look at it...it's a lot of money! But I'm with Niels on this - with the work piling in, it will pay me back very soon - hopefully! :-)

(disclaimer - nothing in life is certain!)
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz Nehalem - First Impressions

Well it arrived at lunchtime....so, with my luck, you can expect Apple to update the Mac Pro specs with a significant bump any day now (!) ;-)

Apart from the well documented "fan burst" on switch-on it's whisper quiet. Beautifully built too - this one's assembled in Ireland. Spent the afternoon updating to the latest OSX version 10.5.7 etc. etc. and all that went perfectly.

The 20 Quid Apple mini-Display Port to DVI conversion connector works perfectly with the ATI 4870 HD Graphics card and one of my Dell 2408WFP monitors (but I'm awaiting a longer DVI cable to be able to get my second Dell 2408WFP connected). As luck would have it, the spare DVI cable I have won't reach the position I currently have the Mac Pro in! I've now got a 5M one on rush order from Amazon, you'll be unsurprised to hear!

I've a meeting with a client in the pub in an hour or so to review an edit (a nice way to do business!) but after that I'll start loading FCS2 on it....it's going to be a very long night I think. I've a big new edit to get going so then I can start to put this beauty through it's paces and see what she's really made of!
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I have mine for a few days now, and could use it within a few hours like I have been working on it my entire life. It's a dream machine, very quiet (the ''fan burst'' first scared me a bit, but after that it's very quiet) and beautiful from the outside and inside (where have I heard that before).

Mine was build in Ireland as well, so I drunk a nice big pint when I got it.

I was very surprised, after I connected it with the firewire cable and transferred the old files from the Macbook Pro on it, that all the programs came with it too. I did some research and thought that I had to install FCS2 manually, like you were talking about Andy. But The Mac Pro was, after 1,5 hour or so, an exact copy of my old work station. With some programs you have to fill in the serial number, but to me it was a pleasant surprise. It all runs smoothly and fast!

I am a very happy man
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Saludos,
I am in the marlet for MacPro as well. Is there anyting you recommend I should do, anything you wish you had done instead or your system is ideal?
Erick Munari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite