DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

How do they?

How do they make a subject or object in a Video clip be colored but the rest of the clip (background) is in black and white?
Its easy to do with a still photo in photoshop.......................but how do you or what filters /thrid party software is needed for video?

Thanks
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Trustee

They use the 3-way Color Corrector. There's a "twirl-down arrow" at the bottom of it, that allows you to set a threshold to select only one color and make everything else black and white.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mitchell. I cant wait to try it out
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I tried finding a online tutorial via Google search, but I didn't have any luck. I think they call it "replace color" or something like that.

What you're doing is using the 3-way color corrector to single out a color to enhance/change it. There's a setting you can use in the process that will turn everything else b&w to more easily show you the color your selecting. I think the trick is that you just leave this view setting turned on so it gives you the effect you want.

A friend of mine showed me how to do this a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty easy "if" you have a color that stands out from the others. (if it doesn't you can duplicate the layer and mask the area you want to isolate.

Hope that all makes sense! :)
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Found one.....

Color Correction/Finishing in FCP 4

It's for FCP4.0, but most of it still applies. Scroll down to were it says "Secondary Color Correction".
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Trustee

Search google for "the pleasantville effect" and you'll find tutorials.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite