DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Stuttering imports from AE on a HDV 1080 24p FCP timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/235245-stuttering-imports-ae-hdv-1080-24p-fcp-timeline.html)

Steve Yager May 12th, 2009 11:46 PM

Stuttering imports from AE on a HDV 1080 24p FCP timeline

Hi. I am importing titles made in After Effects with an HDV 1080 24p sequence into an FCP HDV 1080 24p timeline and when played back and rendered out the titles stutter or drop frames (without the dropped frame warning coming up). I've tried all different kinds of codecs, animation, AIC, uncompressed, HDV, none of them seem to work right. Has anyone had this problem as well?
Thanks!

Mitchell Lewis May 13th, 2009 07:25 AM

Are the titles moving? Is that what's causing the stutter?

William Hohauser May 13th, 2009 07:39 AM

How are you exporting the files from AE? Do the files play in QuickTime without the stutter? Try the standard Animation codec presets in AE. It makes a huge file but it will render fine.

Steve Yager May 13th, 2009 03:48 PM

Mitchell--yes, they are moving titles.

William--I've tried exporting within AE through animation codec, HDV, uncompressed, AIC. Nothing seems to work. They play fine in Quicktime, which makes me think it's an FCP thing. Any ideas?

Thanks for the response, guys!

Steve Yager May 13th, 2009 03:51 PM

I'm trying it through "export" in AE, instead of "make movie". We'll see if that makes a difference.

Steve Yager May 13th, 2009 04:10 PM

So that pretty much fixed it. For those out there with the problem of dropped frames or stuttering issues in an HDV Final Cut timeline when bring footage from After Effects in, use the "export" function in AE instead of the "make movie" function.

William Hohauser May 13th, 2009 06:44 PM

It's odd since I never have these problems with the "Make Movie" function in AE.

Steve Yager May 13th, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1142710)
It's odd since I never have these problems with the "Make Movie" function in AE.

I haven't either until I started working in an HDV timeline. Are you working in HDV too? It's quite possible that it's my 5 year-old Mac starting to die.

William Hohauser May 14th, 2009 12:40 PM

I work in HDV and ProRes. My Mac is 5 years old as well. It might be a field order problem in the Make Movie presets.

Steve Yager May 14th, 2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1143085)
I work in HDV and ProRes. My Mac is 5 years old as well. It might be a field order problem in the Make Movie presets.

Hmmm... shouldn't be a field order problem since I'm creating progressive and importing into a progressive timeline. I don't think field order is even an option when exporting.

Em Malden May 15th, 2009 03:56 AM

Sometimes the problem is with the FCP canvas not rendering the clip properly rather than an inherent issue with the export - try exporting the clip in the timeline from FCP and see if you still get the same issues when viewing as a movie outside FCP

Em

Steve Yager May 15th, 2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em Malden (Post 1143366)
Sometimes the problem is with the FCP canvas not rendering the clip properly rather than an inherent issue with the export - try exporting the clip in the timeline from FCP and see if you still get the same issues when viewing as a movie outside FCP

Em

Hi, Em. Thanks for jumping in. I thought that too, but every time I render out it is still jumpy/stuttery. And If I render out of AE with the AIC it plays fine in the timeline but then when I render it gets stuttery again. And if it's in a timeline with other video in it, it's the only thing that stutters. It's almost like adding a strobe effect.

Now, the "export" function has been working, but there's a new problem. Sometimes when I use "export" instead of "make movie" and try to import it into FCP I get an "unrecognized file error". Man!

William Hohauser May 15th, 2009 04:20 PM

Might be time for a FCP preferences trash. Or a complete reinstallation of FCP.

Have you brought the files into Compressor and converted them to your sequence codec?