FCP or ADOBE CS4 on external hard drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
New Boot

FCP or ADOBE CS4 on external hard drive?

Hi All,

I am using a Mac Book Pro and currently have Final Cut Studio on the main hard drive. Is it possible to install Final Cut Studio and other programs such as Adobe CS4 on an external hard drive without having problems?
Rick Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can install content files on an external drive (e.g. the Motion and Audio content), which saves tens of gigs of disk space. The FCS installation guide explains how.

I don't believe there's an easy way to install the actual program files on an external drive. I expect it's possible, but (a) would need a manual install (slow and risky) and (b) would probably give performance (maybe other) issues.

And, of course, you can place your working files on an external drive via the programs' preferences.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
New Boot

He's right keep the edit content and media on the external. I wouldn't keep the program itself on it. I've never heard that. Like I keep my After Effects Video Co Pilot content on my external along with other lessons and it works flawless. Trail and error it and see what runs faster.
Ryan Wekwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Trustee

Apart from that, the most limiting factor is the activation scheme. It may be possible on one machine, but will likely fail on another machine and may even fail upon reconnect to the original machine. At least if Adobe has any sense, they would prohibit those approaches. I haven't tried it, why should I intentionally decrease performance?, but it seems logical. In their licensing/activation scheme they use a 'hardware signature' so to speak and if the 'hardware signature' is changed you are out of luck.

My suggestion: Don't even try it. It is not worth the trouble.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replys,

I currently have the content files on my main hard drive. Do I have to un install everthing and then re install with the option of putting the content files on my external drive or is there a way to just move the content files to the external drive without un installing everything?
Rick Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've never had any problems installing the actual programme on any drive I have, internal or external, as long as (on Vista) you have user account control turned off. The default storgage location can be set on most software, so it's not actually too important. What doesn't work is trying to run it on another machine - as in windows, the registry values won't match, so it won't run. However, the practical disadvantages of having the programme itself on anything other than an internal drive make it hardly worth the bother. The programmes and the computer really need to be treated as a permanent single entity. Desktop shortcuts that don't get used too much make you really cross when they link to an external drive that you cannot locate when you need it. I'm using external drives a lot now for video storage, and remembering which is which is getting difficult - when the editor can't find file 006.avi (because you didn't bother to give it a sensible name) where do you look?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You can move templates post-install

I realized after the fact that I had installed a gigs and gigs of templates for LiveType, DVD Studio Pro, Motion and Soundtrack Pro on my main HD. I located the files using spotlight, copied them to a second (internal) HD and relinked them with ease. I figured since the only way to get it right was to re-install them all, that I wouldn't be at a loss if it didn't work, but it worked fine. Each software has a unique way to reconnect the media files.

Not sure about running the programs from an external HD. I back-up (using Carbon Copy Cloner) my main drive to two separate HD's (one external) and everything runs fine when I boot from it.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks again for all the suggestions . I will move all content and media files to the external drive.
Rick Fleming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite