Why does Compressor NOT export WMV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Why does Compressor NOT export WMV?

At work my Compressor has no setting or anything anywhere about exporting a Windows Media. I have to put it in to Episode which I really don't like doing. I'd rather do one step then 2. This may seem like a dumb question. But is there some kind of plug in I can download for this?
Ryan Wekwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the DVinfo, Ryan.

It might not seem obvious but Apple only creates direct support for Apple-branded products or industry-homogenized formats that aren't tied to another corporate entity. Quicktime is the base code for all things Final Cut and as such that is the basis for Compressor's main output type.

WMV is Microsoft ("Windows" media) and Flash is Adobe; Compressor doesn't include either of those formats by default and requires either plug-ins or a standalone encoder.

Flip4Mac makes a couple WMV encoders/plug-ins that will do what you want at a reasonable cost.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks man, I figured it out today after doing some searching at work and everything. I just found out about this site. I'm an apple level one and asking dumb questions always learning more and more but I just don't seem like a fool ha.
Ryan Wekwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ryan.

a couple other encoders worth looking at are iSquint (freeware) and Visualhub (shareware). They'll convert just about anything you throw at them.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Ryan,

Im pretty new here myself. Im using FCP and found that I could not import WMV files untill I downloaded Flip 4 Mac.

That was a free version & there are a few which Im sure by now you would have investigated.

When exporting you will not find a preset for it you will have to create a new preset by using the "Quicktime Export Components", Windows Media Encoder type.

From there you should find all the various options for output.

Best of Luck.

Dave.
www.drumroll.com.au
David Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite