DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Trustee

LumiereHD - awesome HDV solution

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to tell everyone that will be at NAB to look out for LumiereHD. It's an application for the Mac that allows you to completely edit HDV via Final Cut Pro. It's awesome and it's definately worth buying when released. (I've used the beta.)

Just wanted you to look out for it...the guy who is creating it seems to really want to create a great solution and it's working great. There seems to be a lot of activity out there for HDV now, so I wanted to speak up about the LumiereHD product before we get to NAB. It's a solid app and works!

Murph
Old March 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thanks for the plug Chris...

I promise, he's not getting commission...maybe he should ;)

We plan on releasing the first version of Lumière HD on April 19th at NAB. We will be on the JVC booth.

The target price for Lumière HD is $179 with a show special running all week for $149.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Trustee

HDV for FCP finally becoming a reality...

It's true, I am not getting commission!

I was lucky enough to be asked at the time to help beta test his upcoming product. It was a great opportunity for me and for Frederic, so here we are quite a while later after some great developments.

It's very important to note that Frederic and his team are not throwing this together. There has been a lot of care put into this product and its very apparent they've scoured the forums all over the web picking up information about what people want in a HDV for FCP solution. These guys are professionals that care for their customers and you'll see it relected in the product. I've already had one bad experience with buying an early HDV for FCP solution (you can guess), so it's great that an alternative solution that includes top notch support from Frederic and his team is almost available. Support these guys...please.

To top this off, I am being told along with everyone else about the price right now in his post above...totally reasonable pricing!

It's great to see product development across many companies, so I hope we support them because they're supporting us.

Special thanks to all the posters who help make developments happen and to the free forums that exist out there like DVinfo....my personal favorite is DVinfo even though I moderate elsewhere. (shh, don't tell them)

Murph
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Contributor

Any URL where we can see more about this product?
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's an awesome price! I can't wait to to buy it. Does it have a chroma noise filter?
Louis Grimaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Wrangler

The url is http://www.lumierehd.com

Only a logo for now. But more coming very soon.

Chroma noise filter, hummm...perhaps.
Old March 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Contributor

Louis, Frederic, a free FCP chroma de-noise plug in would be a great way to attract customers to the HDV solution. When using stib's curves to make my clips more 'film' like I usually end up with some unwanted noise in the shadows and that is usually mostly chroma noise... I sometimes use an Apple plug to desaturate the shadows and it looks great but it would be much more versatile to have a real chroma denoiser :D
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Can someone explain the basic methodology of LumiereHD?

Steven
Steven Galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Wrangler

Steven,

Lumière HD gives MAC users the ability to edit the new HDV 720p format on Final Cut Pro using all the features and benefits currently available with DV. Lumière HD manages the complete workflow; including video capture, file conversion, offline/online workflow, and print back to video, all in one user-friendly interface.

Lumière HD gives editors multiple editing format choices, whether they prefer uncompressed High Definition, DV, or any other QuickTime compatible codec. It is the solution for editing HDV on any MAC hardware with Final Cut Pro.

The official release date is Monday, April 19th at NAB.

The retail price will be $179.
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #10
New Boot

Will this be only the 30P JVC version of the DVHD format, or will it support 60P as well, and even 1080i when it comes out?

Quote:
Lumière HD manages the complete workflow; including video capture, file conversion, offline/online workflow, and print back to video, all in one user-friendly interface.
So this sounds like an offline workflow. Is this converting to DV or OfflineRT and then, doing a conform on the MPEG2 stream?

My company has been shooting a bunch of footage with one of the JVC cameras, but with no way to edit the footage as of yet, so I am really interested in Final Cut Pro solutions.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #11
Wrangler

Johah,

Version 1 will support 720 30p only.

Soon after, it will support other MPEG2 HD formats such as 1080, 1080p, 720 60p.

You are absolutely correct, it is an offline workflow and you can choose the timeline codec of choice (DV, Offline RT, etc.)

Because of its streamlined workflow with batch processing and optimized encoding, Lumiere HD will save editors (and assistant editors) hours of work.

On our short film, I'm estimating that Lumiere HD would have saved me approx. 1 week of pre-work.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #12
New Boot

Thank you for the info. That is very helpful. Editing in DV would be nice, as long as the final product comes out at HD quality.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #13
Wrangler

Jonah,

That's the key, to make sure the final output is in HD.

Most of HD and Film editing in the business is done offline today. It's no different with Lumiere HD.

But if one chooses to cut HDV in HD in the timeline, it can also cater to this approach.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Frederic,

Can you please explain the workflow!?

Steven
Steven Galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #15
Wrangler

Steven,

Here's the print on the back of the box. I hope this is helpful:

Lumière HD gives Mac users the ability to edit the HDV format on Final Cut Pro.

Using the offline/online process, users can edit their HDV footage in the codec of their choice (i.e. DV, motion JPEG, etc.), while keeping all of the real-time benefits they enjoy today with Final Cut Pro. Lumière HD also converts the final edit in full resolution HD for output back to HDV or DVHS tape.

Features

• Captures video from the following HDV cameras and decks via IEEE-1394 FireWire:

• JVC JY-HD10U • JVC HM-DH30000U
• JVC GR-HD1 • JVC CU-VH1

• Allows the logging of information from captured clips and transfers these logs to Final Cut Pro

• Converts the captured HDV clips into QuickTime friendly HD MPEG2 video format (online), via lightning-fast batch processing

• Offers editors their codec of choice to edit in Final Cut Pro's timeline, with all of the real-time benefits, such as transitions, composites, and FX, without rendering. Also provides real-time playing and NTSC monitoring in DV.

• Automates the complete migration of captured HDV footage into Final Cut Pro, including:

• Offline FCP project creation
• Importing clips
• Anamorphic (16:9) setting
• Importing logging information
• Sequence video settings
• Merging of audio & video tracks
• Online process optimization (Clip naming, remove anamorphic, etc.)

• Encodes any HD output from Final Cut Pro into HDV MPEG2 transport stream and transfers back to HDV cameras and decks

All of this in one package for $179 (NAB Show special $149)
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite