AVCHD to FC (I'm using Vegas, my client is learning FC) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD to FC (I'm using Vegas, my client is learning FC)

Hi all,

What is the best way to get files into FC if my camera shoots AVCHD and I use Vegas? Is Cineform the best option, and which version if so? Anything I have to keep in mind to make sure FC imports properly? There seem like lots of Cineform options.

Also, I did research and suggested my client try Mpeg Streamclip to convert to ProRes, but I don't use a Mac and she is learning FC.

So we're trying to get the AVCHD (and also smaller H264 renders I did) into FC so she can edit them, but it's been a pain in the ass. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David H.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi David final cut 6.0.5 has a direct import plug in for AVCHD, if you are shooting on memory card or have the clips on a hard drive you go to Log and Transfer with the AVCHD source plugged in and it should automatically see the clips and load them into the viewer. You can them import them as pro res or apple intemediate codec, you can also select the audio preference too. Select which clips you want to import and off it goes, once into final cut as pro res you treat the clips as normal edit material.

Hope this helps, I have a small canon HF11 SDHC card camera and it imports with no problems I use USB to hook up the source for the clips.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

As Gary says, just connect the camcorder via USB and do Log and Transfer. I always import as ProRes
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

David,

Everything your client needs to know is in the built-in help manual for FCP; read this thread in which I posted exactly where to find the AVCHD "how to":

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/non-linea...avchd-fun.html
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help guys! I'll pass the info along to my client.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite