DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Stabilize, cropping out black edges HD to SD

I am trying to sort out the cleanest workflow on this. My original footage is 1080p and final delivery will both 720p, and 480 on SD DVD. I have some clips that I sent to motion to stabilize (which came out amazingly good). I now need to crop them to get rid of the black on the sides from the clip getting stabilized and I am unsure of when in the workflow to crop. My timeline sequence is 1080p. All editing, CC, titling, etc. is finished and the only thing left is to take care of the cropping on these clips, and send to compressor for delivery.

Does anyone know, at this stage of the game, should I just crop them, or should I first copy this sequence into a 720p sequence? I am wondering which will get a better look, and I will try both and see for myself, but am unsure if there are known reasons to do do one over the other. The main concern I have is keeping to footage as sharp as possible, and I know I have extra resolution available going HD to SD, just want to get it right.

Thanks
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think you mean crop... If your footage is black and doesn't exist outside of those areas, cropping would still only give you a black image.

What you're talking about is Zooming. You'll likely create a basic zoom and an origin shift to avoid those pesky black areas. This does indeed soften the image. The good news is your are downconverting. So, cut in 1080p, zoom in 1080p then output.

The other option is to create a new sequence without your treated clips. This sequence would be 720p. Drop in your 1080p treated clips, zoom in 720p.

I'm for the first method because I'm not sure your average viewer would ever spot the difference.

Anyway - hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure how Final Cut deals with downsizing compared to uprezzing, but in general super sampling (going down) should always look better than going up then going back down.

As such without tests on your footage (which is what you should do, follow the workflow for two clips and compare results) I would hazard a guess that the 'sharper' result with least chance for aliasing or artifacts would come from putting the footage straight into a 720 timeline and changing the scale settings until the black bars are out of frame.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

Use the scale control in the Motion tab of your clips.
Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Trustee

What Noah said ^^^^^ (easy)
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Right, that's the easy part. I was curious if I should do that from within a 720 timeline, or in the 1080p timeline and then export as 720p. It looks pretty good going right from the 1080p timeline (other than any moving text in titles). I am going to try the other way and compare later today.
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite