DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Installing FCS2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/237797-installing-fcs2.html)

Charles Newcomb June 22nd, 2009 04:27 PM

Installing FCS2

So I'm installing FCS2 on my iMac and I happen to notice during the second disk it says: Approximate time remaining: 19 hrs 52 minutes. Cowabunga! So I called Apple Support: "Yep, that sounds about right," he says. "Or you could custom install the audio files to an eternal HDD. But that'll take a little longer."

This better be worth it.

Shaun Roemich June 22nd, 2009 04:38 PM

My install of FCS2 was in the neighbourhood of 3 - 4 hours on a white iMac 2.16GHz.

If memory serves, there is a known bug with Time Remaining for Install.

Ryan Hansen June 22nd, 2009 04:43 PM

I had the same thing when i installed it. Mine took about 2 - 3 hours on a MacPro

Charles Newcomb June 22nd, 2009 07:46 PM

It's at 46% of audio disk 3 right now, and says 13 hours and 20 minutes left.

24" iMac, 2.8 ghz, 4gig ram

Gary Nattrass June 23rd, 2009 03:02 AM

Yup that is about right for all the content and templates they are all zipped up and take forever to extract.

If you just want the programs only it is only about 30 mins, thats what I did to start and then added the content and templates as and when I needed it.

Charles Newcomb June 23rd, 2009 08:37 AM

Well, it's done... five and a half hours. But that's better than the 19 hours it said it would take, initially. Apple said I could load it on my new MacBook Pro, too. I'm not sure I'll live that long, however.

This has been quite the experience, moving over from the PC side. Looks like I'm going to have to take some room away from the Windows partition on my iMac, because FCS took 53 gigs.

Now on to learning how to use it all.

Gary Nattrass June 23rd, 2009 09:01 AM

Hi Charles and glad it went on OK.

what I have done is just installed the programs on my macbook pro as the content takes up a lot of space.

I also installed the programs only on my i-mac hard drive and then put all the content on my edit drive a 1tb g-tech g2.

That way I can use the programs on the i-mac with the content from the g-tech hooked up or if I need to anything with the macbook I can hook the g-tech up to that too.

Jonathan Jones June 25th, 2009 01:55 AM

Yeah, install takes a long time, especially for the Content discs, in which the data is zipped and has to be unzipped during the install process. I was installing on a 3.06 Ghz iMac with initial indications of around 13 hours to install. It was nearing completion right around the 3 hour mark, and then failed with a disc error. I tried it again from the start and noted failure at the same point.....long day. I tested the disc and the remaining ones and noted physical pits in two of them, the likely cause of the error. The other one completely failed I/O tests.

I couldn't just switch out the bad discs. Apple wanted to replace the entire package, but since it had been shipped to me, I had to ship it back. But they overnighted me a replacement package. (at 17 pounds of books in the box, that shipping is not cheap.)

But I also figured that aside from just having to unzip the data during install, it is also sourcing from the optical DVD drive - which likely adds to length of time it takes to install. So this time, I decided to make a disc image of all the discs first, and then install from the images. Sure, it took a while to make the disc images, and I didn't pay attention to exactly how long, but it felt faster. When I was done, I mounted all of them onto the desktop at the same time, and installed from them. Sourcing the zipped files from the imaged files on the hard drive was faster than the DVD install, and since they were all mounted at the same time, I didn't have to deal with the disc-change prompts.

I had to delete the image files after install, though. They took up a huge amount of space and weren't needed anymore. But I think installing from them was a more efficient way to go - which was really a benefit after having slogged through the two previous failed installs.

-Jon

Charles Newcomb June 25th, 2009 12:23 PM

Thanks again for all the helpful hints. Everything seems to be working fine.

A related question: When I set the computer up initially it was going to be a Windows editing machine, so I put the bulk of the storage capacity of the external drive on the Windows side (I did it the other way around on the operating drive). Is there a way to reassign allotted space on the external drive (1 TB Western Digital) without having to reformat it? Thanks again.

Juan Todoli June 26th, 2009 08:19 AM

Just installing FCS2 today on iMac 2,8G IC2Duo 4GRam.

The deal starts at 11:00 this morning.

Running throughout Live Type Media disc 1A 55% complete.

System noticed 3 h 15 m remaining.

2 Discs remaining.

Time now here 16:18 h.

GMT+1

Juan Todoli June 26th, 2009 10:37 AM

Finish!

18:30 in the evening.

+/- withrawing promt disc changes 30 minutes...

11h to 18h = 7 hours.

Hope this experience "live" help too, Charles.

Cheers.

Charles Newcomb June 26th, 2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Todoli (Post 1163862)
Finish!

18:30 in the evening.

+/- withrawing promt disc changes 30 minutes...

11h to 18h = 7 hours.

Hope this experience "live" help too, Charles.

Cheers.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Same computer here, Juan.