DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Help! Cleaner problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/23815-help-cleaner-problem.html)

John Locke March 30th, 2004 04:26 PM

Help! Cleaner problem

Anyone know why this would start happening?

I used the same output files that I've compressed through Cleaner several times before...all with clean results. I only went in and changed the final output size...and then this started happening and won't stop. No matter what changes I make, every compressed file is garbled.

Ken Tanaka March 30th, 2004 04:49 PM

I don't really know. Have you used Cleaner since updating to OS 10.3? Just a wild idea that may have no merit.

Ken Tanaka March 30th, 2004 04:54 PM

Addendum

I found this in the Discreet Cleaner 6 knowledgebase. Don't know if it's related.
Quote:

Question:
Why can't I use my Sorenson 3 Pro codec in cleaner 6 on the Macintosh OS 10.3?

Answer:
During the Panther (code name) pre-release testing, the Sorenson Video 3 Pro codec was not listed within the Apple QuickTime codec options, therefore cleaner was unable to access it.

This is a known issue with the Sorenson Video 3 Pro codec on the Mac OS 10.3 (Panther). Sorenson has provided a free upgrade in their Download section at: www.sorenson.com which addresses this issue.

If you require further technical assistance regarding this issue, please contact Sorenson directly.
Also this:
Quote:

Question:
Why do I get this error message: "This setting specifies a video setting that is not installed" when using cleaner 6 on Mac OS 10.3?

Answer:
If you have Sorenson Squeeze on your OS 10.3 with QuickTime 6.4:

You will need to install the Sorenson Squeeze update available in the Download section at: www.sorenson.com

Now go to the root of your hard drive in Library\QuickTime and delete the file called "Sorenson Video pro.qtx"

Download and install the Sorenson Video 3.1 to 3.3 update available in the Download section at: www.sorenson.com

NOTE: If you only have Sorenson Video 3 Pro Edition, follow steps 2 and 3 only (skip step 1)
It does seem that there are some kinks between Cleaner, Sorenson and OS 10.3.

Perhaps it's time for Ze Compressor?

John Locke March 30th, 2004 04:55 PM

Ken,

Yep...was using it yesterday with no problems. Used the same preset even.

John Locke March 30th, 2004 05:15 PM

Guess what? You're right.

I just realized that, by mistake, I've been using the default compression setting rather than the special Sorenson 3 preset I'd made. That's why they were all working, but today when I tried again with Sorenson 3, it didn't.

The default is Sorenson...and it looks fine.

Thanks, Ken!

Ted Springer March 30th, 2004 06:39 PM

I have that problem all da time. I've posted about it here before I think. What you are doing is cropping and then changing the apsect of the file, right? Right? I knew it! It works fine in OS9. Also if your original file is some other codec other than DV that seems to help.

I can't even launch my Cleaner in 10.3.3. The same exact application still works great in OS9. I tried uninstalling it with the Cleaner installer and then reinstalling and it made zero difference. It asks for my administrator password each time and then claims it's wrong. So be careful before you upgrade to 10.3.3 John.

Jeff Donald March 30th, 2004 07:07 PM

Ted and I discussed this three or four months ago. Cleaner has some known issues with Sorenson, and Compressor.