.par Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM   #1
Major Player

.par Files

Within my Movies folder is a PAR folder, which contains a whole load of files with names the same as the projects I have compressed for DVD, but ending .m2v.par . There are described as DSP MPEG Parse Information. I assume that they contain the data picked up during the encoding first pass and used for the second pass, but do I need to keep these files?

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Trustee

The .par suffix appears to be for files associated with content downloaded through something like a Usenet site, perhaps a movie rental download service or through a DVR device - and are part of a file structure system intended to ensure the integrity of the file through the download process. As I understand it, if a glitch in the download process resulted in an incomplete download of your media file, then the .par file seems as though it is intended to help fill in the missing gaps to complete the file as opposed to having to start the process over again. (At least that is what it sounds like to me.)

My guess is that if the files you ended up working with stand as their own independent and complete files, you are probably safe to trash the .par files. But take that advise with a grain of salt - I am only guessing on this.

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite