Print to video- tried everything! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Print to video- tried everything!

This is my first attempt at printing my sequence back to a dv tape.

The sequence is NTSC. The A/V Presets are set up for NTSC DV. I'm using my camera as the deck, since I don't have $2000 laying around. It's set up for NTSC.

When I play through the timeline I can see the video on the cam's lcd screen. I can hear the audio through my cam.

I have tried printing to video with the cam in VTR mode as well as recording mode. In VTR mode it can't find a DV signal so it stops recording after 10 seconds. In recording mode the cam keeps recording, but it doesn't record audio or video from the computer. I have tried ticking the Automatically start recording box in the setup but the cam doesn't record audio or video. I've tried without automatically recording, pressing the record button on the cam and then starting the print to video- still no audio or video to the cam. I have checked to make sure the camera is actually recording. I even tried switching my A/V settings in FCP to DVCPRO Firewire- still won't work.

What am I missing here???

Chris
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm confused. Usually, when you get a solid preview from the timeline, it means that FCP is talking to the camera fine - there's essentially no difference in the Print To Video output, except everything needs to be rendered before Print To Video will start.

What kind of camera are you using? If it's, for instance, an HDV / DV camera, you may need to be in DV record mode before recording, but it may preview fine.

You said you switched to DVCPro Firewire - are you using an HVX-200? If so, again, you may need to be set up for DV recording in the VTR mode.

Can't say much more without the camera model number.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Major Player

The HD100 listed in my signature is the camera I'm using. I've confirmed it is in DV mode. Actually, when I have FCP setup to play out to NTSC Firewire I don't get a preview in the lcd, but I do when I set it up to play out to DVCPRO Firewire... which is odd, since my camera is not a DVCPRO cam.

I'm using FCP 6.0.4 btw.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I've looked at the User Manual for the HD100, and it looks like it should be simple:

It says to place the cam in VTR MODE, press the CAM/VTR button to turn on the VTR indicator, set the frame rate to match your incoming video format, set the TC DUPLI in the TC/UB/CLOCK menu (for recording either internal or external TC), Insert tape, and press the REC/VTR trigger. Simple. Just about what you'd expect.

Since you've been able to get playback direct from the timeline, have you considered just playing back from the timeline and hitting record on the deck? Really, all that Print to Video does is give you the option of adding a head (bars, tone, slate) and tail (black, looping). You can build those directly onto your timeline, instead, if needed.

If you set your RT to Safe RT and Full quality, you should have an identical signal sent through the Firewire as you would have using Print to Video.

The HD100 manual is not entirely clear on Device Control through IEEE1394, so you might not be able to do an Edit to Tape, which is similar to Print to Video but with device control. I don't understand why your camera can see the image on timeline playback, but not print to video playback. Also, your NTSC DV preset should work fine. That DVCPro setting is just weird - maybe it's a hackinstosh thing (I just noticed your sig).
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Christopher: I routinely have issues playing back NTSC material to my HD200u over firewire. What SEEMS to work for me is:
-start playback
-stop it quickly again
-and then start it again.

Normally this works just fine. Of course, I do this during the black leading up to my bars and tone so no one can tell I've started and stopped playback.

BTW, I've been using FCP since ver. 1.0.2 and this camera is the only one I've ever had an issue with but eventually I always get it to work. Since I updated from 6.0.3 to 6.0.5 I haven't tried playout to tape...
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Major Player

If the 1394 connection is flaky, sometimes going through View>Refresh A/V Devices and then View>External Video>All Frames can help.

View>Refresh A/V Devices basically polls the Firewire bus for anything hooked up, then View>External Video>All Frames makes sure that playback is routed over Firewire.

I have to do this every time I turn on my Sony DSR-20 DVCam deck.
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Update:

So after attempting all suggestions I still cannot get FCP to print to video correctly. I resigned myself to recording straight from the timeline (although Larry Jordan will tell you not to). I discovered something odd (and very annoying): when I set the video playback to Apple Firewire NTSC and record, I get audio but no video to tape. When I set video playback to Apple Firewire DVCPRO NTSC and record, I get video but no audio to tape...

Tried changing the sequence compressor from ProRes to DV NTSC just to be sure all my settings were the same, but it didn't change anything. I could see how one might think that this was an issue with the computer I'm currently using (my iMac crapped out and I don't have necessary software for PC or the money for a Mac Pro yet), but we're talking straight FW400 to cam, nothing fancy here. FCP recognizes my cam, I can log and capture as well as batch capture, and I can get either audio or video from the timeline, but not both.

Thank you for the input, and I would be happy to exhaust any further suggestions, but I think I just have horrible luck with computers and this will never work correctly short of me throwing down $1800 on a deck.

Chris
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have had similar problems a couple of times before ... but with my Kona 3 card. There is a setting under A/V Settings / A/V Devices / - a checkbox for "different output for edit to tape/print to video". FCP apparently sets that box by itself sometimes. If it's unchecked my print to video works.

Don't know if this helps, but I hope so.
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite