The NEW Final Cut Studio announced today! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Not in the 14 days period. Just 1 month & half ago.

I think to continue with my practices & forget upgrades till Snow (if so).

If new suite costs 999, I paid 1200 & the actualization is about 300, I have enough hitting the roof with these around 500 € difference.

Ouch!
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Anyone see anything wrong, morally or otherwise, with buying Final Cut Pro 3 or 4 from ebay on the cheap, then using it to get the Final Cut Studio 3 upgrade package?

As long as its an official retail package it should work, right? New Intel machines will run the old PPC program as far as I know.

I have the FCS2 academic package, so updates are off limits for me.

Comments? Will it work?
I did this. I bought FC 3 5 months ago intending to upgrade. I have been waiting for the update, it´s here now AND they dropped the upgrade price from FC3 to about half of what it was. I´m happy
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #63
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
I did this. I bought FC 3 5 months ago intending to upgrade. I have been waiting for the update, it´s here now AND they dropped the upgrade price from FC3 to about half of what it was. I´m happy
Just purchased mine this morning.
I'm going to wait a little bit before I do an install, to hear about the bugs that are out there.
And unfortunately you know their will be bugs.

It's a shame that you are not able to have multiple versions of FCS on your system, like I can Sony Vegas (I can have Vegas 3,4,5,6,7,8 what ever) on the PC.

This would be less painful for me, as I would be able to try out FCS3, while still working in FCS2. Then if the new version seems stable enough, I could simply uninstall the old version.

BTW, how does one handle installing the upgrade, as I haven't done this before. Do you have to do a full uninstall of FCS2 before installing the new version. Or will the new version simply install and overwrite over the old version?
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #64
MPS Digital Studios

Having multiple versions of an NLE on your system probably isn't the best thing--I had Premiere Pro CS4 sitting on my system with FCP and I noticed a lot of issues, even when one of them wasn't launched. I uninstalled PP CS4 and things are better.

Heath
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #65
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Just purchased mine this morning.
I'm going to wait a little bit before I do an install, to hear about the bugs that are out there.
And unfortunately you know their will be bugs.

It's a shame that you are not able to have multiple versions of FCS on your system, like I can Sony Vegas (I can have Vegas 3,4,5,6,7,8 what ever) on the PC.

This would be less painful for me, as I would be able to try out FCS3, while still working in FCS2. Then if the new version seems stable enough, I could simply uninstall the old version.

BTW, how does one handle installing the upgrade, as I haven't done this before. Do you have to do a full uninstall of FCS2 before installing the new version. Or will the new version simply install and overwrite over the old version?
All you need is another disc.

Just put a new disc in one of your MacPro slots or use a FW external. I think that still works.

I have 3 different system discs on my MacPro. I always have a backup ready that way and I can try new SW with no risk.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #66
Regular Crew

The specs say to run Color you need a "Display with 1680-by-1050 resolution or higher" which would mean that I can't run it on my MacBook Pro 15" which really sucks...

I'm still running Tiger so I think I'll wait for Snow Leopard's release and upgrade everything at once.
Aaron Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #67
MPS Digital Studios

Affordable displays plus Display Maestro (Display Maestro — Unlock All Resolutions) and/or Matrox's DualHead2Go (Matrox Graphics - Products - Graphics eXpansion Module - DualHead2Go) and their MXO 2 (Complete HD/SD I/O for the Mac - Matrox MXO2) is PERFECT for laptop FCP editors!

Heath
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Cheers Heath, I'll look into that when I get around to upgrading.
Aaron Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #69
MPS Digital Studios

No problem, Aaron. Let us know how it goes.

Heath
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Has anyone actually seen a retail box of FCS3? I am interested to know what is in the box. The Apple web site says
DVDs with Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, Color 1.5, Compressor 3.5, DVD Studio Pro 4, Cinema Tools 4.5, and Apple Qmaster 3.5
Content DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

I have ordered the Upgrade & tracking the package on the UPS site it tells me that the weight is 0.6kg or about 1lb 5oz The FCS2 kit weighs considerably more than that as it contains several excellent manuals. Does the FCS3 upgrade short-change us on the manuals or did Apple decide to drop the printed manuals & only deliver them in electronic form? This would be a retrograde step.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Has anyone actually seen a retail box of FCS3? I am interested to know what is in the box. The Apple web site says
DVDs with Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, Color 1.5, Compressor 3.5, DVD Studio Pro 4, Cinema Tools 4.5, and Apple Qmaster 3.5
Content DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

I have ordered the Upgrade & tracking the package on the UPS site it tells me that the weight is 0.6kg or about 1lb 5oz The FCS2 kit weighs considerably more than that as it contains several excellent manuals. Does the FCS3 upgrade short-change us on the manuals or did Apple decide to drop the printed manuals & only deliver them in electronic form? This would be a retrograde step.
Nigel - Mine came in a small box (like the size of 4 compact disc cases). There is a partition with 1 package contain the license, the FCP 7 Booklet (truncated) and the legal documents. The other partition contains the DVD's. The documentation is indeed electronic and Apple must have saved a bundle on creating these books- It's greener but I do miss them.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #72
MPS Digital Studios

I remember they did that with later copies of FCP 1 (no books) and there was a lot of uproar and they brought it back.

heath
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Has anyone actually seen a retail box of FCS3?
Personally, firsthand? No. But did see this the other day referenced in a TUAW article:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/...fcs-shrink.jpg

A very convincing photograph showing the significant reduction in size for both FCS and Logic Studio; the new versions are standing next to the older for ease of visual comparison. The difference is rather striking to behold, from the looks of it.
Dan Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #74
MPS Digital Studios

And I thought the FCS 2 box was smaller than the first one.

Heath
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #75
Wrangler

I wonder if there's a difference with the upgrade vs full version with regard to hardcopy manuals?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite