The NEW Final Cut Studio announced today! - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Well the price listed on Penn States Computer Store is a lot lower than $899. So that is why I can not decide.
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #107
Trustee

Quote:
IIRC, I have to put in several Serial Numbers, as I started out with 1.x and most serial numbers are 'Upgrade' Serials, so the installer asks me to go further and further back in time until I get to the original. Just part of the joy of upgrading I guess.
Yeah, I guess this could be a problem with the idea that somebody here had to buy a used copy of FCP 4 on Ebay for cheap and then buy the upgrade to FCS 3 in order to save some money.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Yeah, I guess this could be a problem with the idea that somebody here had to buy a used copy of FCP 4 on Ebay for cheap and then buy the upgrade to FCS 3 in order to save some money.

I bought FC 3 for $50 of a guy here in Norway, then received the FCS upgrade package today. I entered the serial number from the FCS upgrade package, then I was told this was an upgrade serial, please enter previous serial number.
So I did and now I´m in the process of installing the new FCS, all for the total price of $350!
I´m very happy to say the least
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
I think that if you had put the "original" or first SN from the start that would be all it would ask of you
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #110
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
I bought FC 3 for $50 of a guy here in Norway, then received the FCS upgrade package today. I entered the serial number from the FCS upgrade package, then I was told this was an upgrade serial, please enter previous serial number.
So I did and now I´m in the process of installing the new FCS, all for the total price of $350!
I´m very happy to say the least
I had an old FCP 3 license, which was an upgrade version, and the FCS 3 update version took this with no problem.

I actually called Apple to check on this before buying.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #111
MPS Digital Studios

I love that starting with FCS 2, you didn't have to own previous versions of every app that was once sold separately, including FCP, DVDSP, and Motion.

Heath
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #112
Major Player

true, I really admire their update program. I guess their thinking is that the more the merrier
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #113
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
I think that if you had put the "original" or first SN from the start that would be all it would ask of you
I can confirm that. I tried it this time:

- First SN: the one supplied with the package - an upgrade
- Second SN: the FCP3 number (my last full SN for some reason)

Worked a treat.

FWIW: I did a full de-install with FCS Remover, then a full install. All plugs seem to have made the transition. What I DID lose (but got back in 20 seconds with Time Machine) was my custom window layouts, compressor settings and other such twiddles.

Maybe its a case of Mea Culpa, but Apple could look into not letting that sort of thing happen.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Hey Matt,

Quick question, how did you replace the custom window layouts, compressor settings and other stuff?
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #115
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels Neeskens View Post
how did you replace the custom window layouts, compressor settings and other stuff?
After about seven hours of wrangling (two systems to set up), it's a bit of a blur. But...

IIRC I opened Time Machine, navigated to

yourUserName/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Pro Settings/

Selected the Window Layouts folder and hit 'restore'.

I had a number of layouts already saved (from way, WAY back) and they seem to work just fine in 7 as they did in 6 and 5.

Compressor location:

yourUserName/Library/Application Support/Compressor/*.setting - ditto.

Last edited by Matt Davis; July 29th, 2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added Compressor custom presets location
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #116
Trustee

Jog/Shuttle gesture

Oh dear.

Not many people have got it to work. Here's how:

do a 'rotate' gesture: finger down in middle of trackpad, then another finger rotates to draw a 'circumference' around the centre.

The trouble is that, if you're moderately big-fingered, this gesture is easy to misinterpret as a pinch or unpinch gesture so you zoom as well as scrub.

What you can't do is treat the thing like an iPhone version of a BVE5000 jog/shuttle knob. More's the shame. It's certainly not the tactile feel of scrubbing 1/4 tape over the playback head, and neither is it a Harry style scroll. It will probably 'give good demo' in tradeshow booths, but

And the gestures are not consistent. The three finger swipe to get to the top of a sequence in FCP pops open the sequence window in Motion. Maybe it's a good idea, but (to paraphrase Samuel Goldfish) "if Bruce Tognazzini were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave".
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #117
Trustee

No ProRes LT or Proxy capture via Firewire?

Did anyone notice that you CAN'T capture to ProRes LT or ProRes Proxy via Firewire.
So that means that those of us who still shoot with tape, only have the option to capture first to HDV and then transcode to ProRes LT or Proxy. Or capture straight to regular ProRes.

Kind of sucks big time.

I hope Apple fixes this with a patch like they did with the original ProRes and Firewire.

Currently I can't capture to the two new codecs with my Black Magic Intensity Pro card either.
I hope an update is done to the Intensity drivers soon that will enable me to do this as well.

Mainly I really would like the ability to be able to capture via Firewire to my MacBook Pro, as I don't have any other way to capture tape footage to the laptop when I am on the road. The MacPro in the office I am not so much worried about.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #118
Major Player

Michael, I'd bet thats exactly what we'll see ... hopefully it'll allow one to transcode to full raster too.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #119
Major Player

Auto Scratch by Edit Mule

I came across this interesting plugin called Auto Scratch by Editmule. It keeps track of scratch disks, matching them with projects.

Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet, so no words from experience, but thought y'all might like to look into it.
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #120
Major Player

I can see why Apple doesn't dare to call this Final Cut Studio 3.

Some great improvements but they should have been free for all Final Cut Studio 2 users. I hope we don't have to wait another two years for an update like this. But I also can't imagine that they do another update in a year or so.

Sometimes I really don't understand you, Apple.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite