Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #121
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Oh dear.

Not many people have got it to work. Here's how:

do a 'rotate' gesture: finger down in middle of trackpad, then another finger rotates to draw a 'circumference' around the centre.

The trouble is that, if you're moderately big-fingered, this gesture is easy to misinterpret as a pinch or unpinch gesture so you zoom as well as scrub.

What you can't do is treat the thing like an iPhone version of a BVE5000 jog/shuttle knob. More's the shame. It's certainly not the tactile feel of scrubbing 1/4 tape over the playback head, and neither is it a Harry style scroll. It will probably 'give good demo' in tradeshow booths, but

And the gestures are not consistent. The three finger swipe to get to the top of a sequence in FCP pops open the sequence window in Motion. Maybe it's a good idea, but (to paraphrase Samuel Goldfish) "if Bruce Tognazzini were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave".
Thanks a lot Matt
Niels Neeskens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #122
Major Player

I found some nice free training videos explaining the new FCS features:

Ripple Training
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #123
Inner Circle

So, is the new Final Cut Pro 64-bit? I keep reading contrasting reports about this.
Most people say it isn't, Mike Curtis from HDforIndies said it 'could run faster on Snow Leopard' which seems to hint at under the hood performance tweaks like 64bit and OpenCL, Grand Central, ...
If it isn't 64-bit I'm really dissapointed. And then it also seems a bit weak giving the apps an update and then give them one again in a short while after the Snow Leopard release. Then they could have waited.

And anyone already has some experiences to share?

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #124
MPS Digital Studios

From what I understand, FCS 3 won't support 64-bit until Snow Leopard comes out and (I believe) OpenCL.

Heath
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #125
Major Player

AppleInsider | Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bit to the Kernel

Explains well how Snow Leopard finally brings the 64-bit support we need.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #126
Major Player

I am eager to learn how FCS (3, or should I say 2.5) deals with 64-bit.

Will there be a free update when Snow Leopard launches? Or do we have to wait untill FCS (4) launches to unleash the true power of our machines. And will will be forced to pay another $299 to get there? Don't get me wrong. $299 for 64-bit is a bargain if you see how much time you gain... but I really can't follow Apple anymore.

I expected the new FCS to go 64-bit and launch alongside Snow Leopard. But with this strange release time frame they confused me. The only thing I can think off is that they want to bug test FCS for the coming months so they can fix any bugs that occur now, and then release updates alongside Snow Leopard to make the transition to 64-bit easier.

But Apple isn't talking so we can only guess.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #127
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
Will there be a free update when Snow Leopard launches?
From what I can gather from the document Harrison linked to (up to the point where my brain exploded - haven't finished cleaning up the mess), the app may be already 64 bit 'ready', just need to dunk it into Snow Leopard for extra goodies to suddenly come alive.

Anyone here an Apple Developer as well as an FCP junkie?
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #128
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
I am eager to learn how FCS (3, or should I say 2.5) deals with 64-bit.

Will there be a free update when Snow Leopard launches? Or do we have to wait untill FCS (4) launches to unleash the true power of our machines. And will will be forced to pay another $299 to get there? Don't get me wrong. $299 for 64-bit is a bargain if you see how much time you gain... but I really can't follow Apple anymore.

I expected the new FCS to go 64-bit and launch alongside Snow Leopard. But with this strange release time frame they confused me. The only thing I can think off is that they want to bug test FCS for the coming months so they can fix any bugs that occur now, and then release updates alongside Snow Leopard to make the transition to 64-bit easier.

But Apple isn't talking so we can only guess.
Apple does not call this release Final Cut Studio 3. It just refers to it as "the new Final Cut Studio":

Apple - Final Cut Studio

So Floris could be right in nicknaming it FCS 2.5 and suggesting that Apple might release another update alongside Snow Leopard. Perhaps they will name the latter release Final Cut Studio 3.

Andrew Gyles
Andrew Gyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #129
Regular Crew

I never noticed that they never called it 3, I have a hard time believing that they would release another version only months after this one though, let alone within a year.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #130
Regular Crew

It seems a bit strange to release new software like this a few months before the new OS comes out, especially with quicktime X and x64

Maybe, FCS3 is a long way off? Maybe, apple are trying to squeeze those extra pennys out? Maybe quicktime X is not that much of an overhaul? I don't know, i;m just stirring the pot...

IMHO, everyone is raging on about how there's no BR support, or this isn't done, or that's not fixed and so on and so forth, it doesn't really make sense releasing FCS...2.5?

That's why I'm not upgrading. I'd love to, and there are some features i just about fell over about, but i'd hate to see my money go to waste. It does seem sort of like a large update, rather than a whole new version.

My 2 cents....

Ryan
Ryan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #131
Major Player

It is indeed Studio 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gyles View Post
Apple does not call this release Final Cut Studio 3. It just refers to it as "the new Final Cut Studio"
On the install disc, it says the following:

Code:
Final Cut Studio
Install DVD
Version 3.0
1Z691-6402-A

Upgrade
So we should probably stop this whole 2.5 debate.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #132
MPS Digital Studios

It's just semantics on Apple's part; I talked to a major editing professional who wished this was a better update with new stuff. I'm going to get started this weekend and see what's available.

Sure, FCP 6 had ProRes and Smoothcam--it's tough to top that, but if they can perfect those and other features, then I'm happy.

No BD support in DVDSP is disappointing, but a recent story I heard about, saw more and more consumers assuming they'd be watching movies via the Web, like Netflix's streaming service, VUDU, etc. I'll try and find the article--I think I heard it on the radio (NPR or something).

Heath
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #133
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
wished this was a better update with new stuff.
Or have some of the old stuff fixed. FXscript is still part and parcel of FCP, indeed the new Alpha Transition is just FXscript and will probably work in 6.x. But whilst it's great to have continuity and compatibility, FXscript has some bugs in it.

For example: sad to note that the text tools still can't select certain fonts or pick out styles. Yes, theoretically one can build a simple bit of text in motion, but have things really come to that?

Just how much of this is a re-write, I wonder?

But having spent the last three days grouching about the upgrade, I'm going to get on with trying to like it. Cos it's all I got.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #134
Major Player

So no LiveType, but does installing it doesn't remove the old LiveType right? I'm still a big fan of LiveType.

I'm saddened by this release. For $300 to upgrade it's a no-brainer on the surface. I'd do it just for the new speed adjustment changes. But I've still got a PowerMac G5 that does some heavy editing in our office. Since this release is Intel only I'd have to upgrade that machine since I wouldn't be able to share projects from my laptop to the G5 if my laptop was running FCS 3.

This release is not worth getting a new machine for, when the G5 is still plugging away nicely. I had hoped that it would be.

If I had all Intel machines I'd be running to the Apple Store tonight, but since I'm not willing to upgrade the G5 for this release then that means I can't get it for any of my machines.

So, kinda sad. I wish this had been a better release. I'm AMAZED that there's no update to DVDSP. That boggles my mind.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #135
Regular Crew

I can't decide if I should update either. I was possibly looking into what people above have done with getting a FCP 3 serial for cheap like $50 and then buying the upgrade for $300. Will this really work?
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite