Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
Its just more speculative nonsense aka rubbish posted as fact ... just like all those who posted all over the net oh so definitively that FCS would not be updated until SL shipped because it was completely rewritten and tied to the forthcoming OS release. Complete tosh ... but hey, if you want to pin your expectations on the ravings of uniformed spectulators then go right ahead.
I don't think said people were all that wrong. I personally didn't like the idea of a new major version of a Pro App running on an untested OS (Snow Leopard)

That's a bug tracking nightmare (is this a FCP bug or OS bug?)

I think it may be up to a year until we see a significant patch to FCS that delivers 64-bit and better multiprocessing support. I'm sure we need to be around 10.6.3 before things stabilize a bit and production systems running FCS can be safely run on Snow Leopard.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Regular Crew

-Cleaned up FCP interface(at least drop the brushed metal).
-Background rendering (like background analyzing on smoothcam)
-option to use motion's optical flow tech in Final cut pro's slow motion
-Ability to use different source codecs to edit multicam.
-ability to easy ease motion keyframes(center) in keyframe timeline instead of only on the canvas(which is very finicky and usually needs manual fixing of the spline)
-Better titling for paragraphs, lists, and credits.
-ability to see if a piece of media is being used on the timeline in the media browser and in the right click menu be able to have the option to show where is/highlight said clip/media in the timeline.
-updated DVD studio pro- blu ray
-Faster compressor encoding

A lot of the "upgrades" for final cut could easily have just been added to FCP 6 through software update like new prores LQ and proxy, ability to not ripple the sequence with a speed change, SD safe title zone viewable in HD projects, coloured tabs, large timecode window.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Where did you hear this? Any links to the story?
No links, I heard this from my Apple dealer. He couldn't confirm but did mention 26th Sept.

People should note this release is not being marketed as FCS3. It is being marketed as the new FCS.

We wont see the 'real' FCS until Snow Leopard is released; FCP has been completely re-written for Snow Leopard, I'm hoping DVDSP has also. QuickTimeX is released with Snow Leopard and is also a complete rewrite of the program. I think it will be a free download for those of us who have upgraded FCS already and Snow Leopard ships for just $29. So it should be good all round.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Number one desired "upgrade"/fix: that crazy bug where just after rendering I can't drag and drop footage around in the timeline any more and I have to restart Final Cut to fix it. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Stability is a much desired upgrade. :)
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:07 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
No links, I heard this from my Apple dealer. He couldn't confirm but did mention 26th Sept.
Considering that even at Apple HQ the people working there are subject to security that is so high that they could give lessons to the national security services I highly doubt that an Apple Genius would have the inside scoop on anything at all.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:47 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Considering that even at Apple HQ the people working there are subject to security that is so high that they could give lessons to the national security services I highly doubt that an Apple Genius would have the inside scoop on anything at all.
I think it's pretty well known that Apple are about to release a new OS - you may have heard of Snow Leopard...
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Liam,
No one is doubting the imminent (and already publicly announced) release of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard ... what is being called into question is the veracity of the claims of your dealer regarding a "real" FCS upgrade. He/She is speculating like everyone else ... those speculations may be reasonably well informed just as are many of the speculations we've been reading here and elsewhere across the net since the FCS (2009) release, but just because a point release update might be reasonably likely at that time, it certainly doesn't follow that a "completely re-written for Snow Leopard" version is coming down the track on Spet. 26th. I do hope & believe that a cocoa native rewrite will eventually make it to the light of day but I really think your dealer is talking out of his hat. That said, mate, my own hat is ready in my hand, I'd be only too glad to eat it, along with a large portion of humble pie.
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #23
Major Player

Mostly I'm disappointed by FCP & DVD Studio Pro..

DVD Studio Pro should have received at least true Blu-Ray Authoring support; but at the very least there should be some newer templates.. I mean com'on.. just because its a pro app doesn't mean everyone is going to build there own motion menus in photoshop and AE.. geezzz.

FCP has actually taken a step backwards in my account.. things that used to play very well (clearly at a high rate), now requires them to be rendered or I will encounter a drop in playback. And I am using the newest Mac Pro 2.66 8 Core, ATI GC and 16GB Ram.. so I shouldn't have to render much of anything.

Also I am now experiencing numerous crashing when trying to playback footage (not yet transcoded) from the 5DM2.. before I was actually able to edit it (almost) natively on this machine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite