DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Making MP3's in Soundtrack Pro, Quicker way? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/239861-making-mp3s-soundtrack-pro-quicker-way.html)

Carlos San Roman July 27th, 2009 07:58 PM

Making MP3's in Soundtrack Pro, Quicker way?

I record lectures for a client, convert them to MP3 , then give them to their Web person for podcast. I record them straight to my Mac Laptop using Soundtrack (also record it to CD recorder as a backup), do a little editing and add an intro, then export to my desktop as an MP3 so I can burn that file to a CD and deliver it to my client.

My question is: The export to MP3 seems to be in real time. And these lectures can be 2 hours long. Is there a faster way to convert it to an MP3? Or can I record it as an MP3 in Soundtrack and still edit it?

Thanks

Christopher Drews July 27th, 2009 08:36 PM

Just save it as native format (AIFF or WAVE) and use iTunes or Compressor. Both of these are way faster than realtime. Most people use iTunes because its free and easy to change the settings. If you search this forum you'll see others who are successful with both methods. The only other way to speed up the render process in STP is to move your media to a RAID 0 drive - like a G-RAID 3.

Hope this helps,
-C

Carlos San Roman July 31st, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1177499)
Just save it as native format (AIFF or WAVE) and use iTunes or Compressor. Both of these are way faster than realtime. Most people use iTunes because its free and easy to change the settings. If you search this forum you'll see others who are successful with both methods. The only other way to speed up the render process in STP is to move your media to a RAID 0 drive - like a G-RAID 3.

Hope this helps,
-C

Hi Chris,
Maybe I'm missing a step here. The files are saved in STP as multi tracks. So I exported to the desktop as an AIFF, then dragged and dropped it in iTunes. iTunes sees it but it can't play it. Now if I export it from the .stap tab in STP as an AIFF, move it to iTunes it sees it and it can play it. But if I ask it to burn to a CD as a MP3, I get a warning that it can only burn a MP3 to a MP3 CD. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Also when I export out of STP there is an option to export as an ACC/Podcast file. Is that a format that I can put on a disk and send to the web guy?

Thanks,

Carlos

David Scattergood July 31st, 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos San Roman (Post 1179303)
Hi Chris,
Maybe I'm missing a step here. The files are saved in STP as multi tracks. So I exported to the desktop as an AIFF, then dragged and dropped it in iTunes. iTunes sees it but it can't play it. Now if I export it from the .stap tab in STP as an AIFF, move it to iTunes it sees it and it can play it. But if I ask it to burn to a CD as a MP3, I get a warning that it can only burn a MP3 to a MP3 CD. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Also when I export out of STP there is an option to export as an ACC/Podcast file. Is that a format that I can put on a disk and send to the web guy?

Thanks,

Carlos

Carlos - you should be able to use that 'AAC' file to burn to CD - click on that option when you export from STP. Also, you can set the convert options in preferences - iTunes to convert to whatever file you wish e.g. you can tell iTunes to convert to your AIFF file to MP3 and then burn from there. AAC are pretty decent quality otherwise stick with MP3...
Hope this is what you're asking?

Carlos San Roman August 4th, 2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood (Post 1179312)
Carlos - you should be able to use that 'AAC' file to burn to CD - click on that option when you export from STP. Also, you can set the convert options in preferences - iTunes to convert to whatever file you wish e.g. you can tell iTunes to convert to your AIFF file to MP3 and then burn from there. AAC are pretty decent quality otherwise stick with MP3...
Hope this is what you're asking?

Thanks David,

I did a few tests and sent them to the web guy waiting to hear back. The ACC files definitely converted faster out of STP.

Another question:
I'm trying to add an intro to the MP3's I had already edited. I noticed when I import them (MP3) back into STP I can't seem to edit them??? Is there a way to convert them back into a tract so I can add the intro's???

Thanks
Carlos

Mitchell Lewis August 4th, 2009 10:09 PM

Do a Google search for LAME MP3. It's free, great quality, and installs in the Quicktime bucket so all your QT applications can access it. You'll be able to make MP3's in Quicktime Pro (easiest method), Final Cut Pro, etc....

I've been using it for years now with great success.

Christopher Drews August 5th, 2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1181863)
Do a Google search for LAME MP3. It's free, great quality, and installs in the Quicktime bucket so all your QT applications can access it. You'll be able to make MP3's in Quicktime Pro (easiest method), Final Cut Pro, etc....

I've been using it for years now with great success.

Wow - Never knew LAME worked in FCP - Learn something new everyday.
-C