Making MP3's in Soundtrack Pro, Quicker way? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 46
Making MP3's in Soundtrack Pro, Quicker way?

I record lectures for a client, convert them to MP3 , then give them to their Web person for podcast. I record them straight to my Mac Laptop using Soundtrack (also record it to CD recorder as a backup), do a little editing and add an intro, then export to my desktop as an MP3 so I can burn that file to a CD and deliver it to my client.

My question is: The export to MP3 seems to be in real time. And these lectures can be 2 hours long. Is there a faster way to convert it to an MP3? Or can I record it as an MP3 in Soundtrack and still edit it?

Thanks
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Just save it as native format (AIFF or WAVE) and use iTunes or Compressor. Both of these are way faster than realtime. Most people use iTunes because its free and easy to change the settings. If you search this forum you'll see others who are successful with both methods. The only other way to speed up the render process in STP is to move your media to a RAID 0 drive - like a G-RAID 3.

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Just save it as native format (AIFF or WAVE) and use iTunes or Compressor. Both of these are way faster than realtime. Most people use iTunes because its free and easy to change the settings. If you search this forum you'll see others who are successful with both methods. The only other way to speed up the render process in STP is to move your media to a RAID 0 drive - like a G-RAID 3.

Hope this helps,
-C
Hi Chris,
Maybe I'm missing a step here. The files are saved in STP as multi tracks. So I exported to the desktop as an AIFF, then dragged and dropped it in iTunes. iTunes sees it but it can't play it. Now if I export it from the .stap tab in STP as an AIFF, move it to iTunes it sees it and it can play it. But if I ask it to burn to a CD as a MP3, I get a warning that it can only burn a MP3 to a MP3 CD. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Also when I export out of STP there is an option to export as an ACC/Podcast file. Is that a format that I can put on a disk and send to the web guy?

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos San Roman View Post
Hi Chris,
Maybe I'm missing a step here. The files are saved in STP as multi tracks. So I exported to the desktop as an AIFF, then dragged and dropped it in iTunes. iTunes sees it but it can't play it. Now if I export it from the .stap tab in STP as an AIFF, move it to iTunes it sees it and it can play it. But if I ask it to burn to a CD as a MP3, I get a warning that it can only burn a MP3 to a MP3 CD. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Also when I export out of STP there is an option to export as an ACC/Podcast file. Is that a format that I can put on a disk and send to the web guy?

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos - you should be able to use that 'AAC' file to burn to CD - click on that option when you export from STP. Also, you can set the convert options in preferences - iTunes to convert to whatever file you wish e.g. you can tell iTunes to convert to your AIFF file to MP3 and then burn from there. AAC are pretty decent quality otherwise stick with MP3...
Hope this is what you're asking?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Carlos - you should be able to use that 'AAC' file to burn to CD - click on that option when you export from STP. Also, you can set the convert options in preferences - iTunes to convert to whatever file you wish e.g. you can tell iTunes to convert to your AIFF file to MP3 and then burn from there. AAC are pretty decent quality otherwise stick with MP3...
Hope this is what you're asking?
Thanks David,

I did a few tests and sent them to the web guy waiting to hear back. The ACC files definitely converted faster out of STP.

Another question:
I'm trying to add an intro to the MP3's I had already edited. I noticed when I import them (MP3) back into STP I can't seem to edit them??? Is there a way to convert them back into a tract so I can add the intro's???

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kennewick, WA
Posts: 1,124
Do a Google search for LAME MP3. It's free, great quality, and installs in the Quicktime bucket so all your QT applications can access it. You'll be able to make MP3's in Quicktime Pro (easiest method), Final Cut Pro, etc....

I've been using it for years now with great success.
__________________
Sony EX3, Canon 5D MkII, Chrosziel Matte Box, Sachtler tripod, Steadicam Flyer, Mac Pro, Apple/Adobe software - 20 years as a local videographer/editor
Mitchell Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Do a Google search for LAME MP3. It's free, great quality, and installs in the Quicktime bucket so all your QT applications can access it. You'll be able to make MP3's in Quicktime Pro (easiest method), Final Cut Pro, etc....

I've been using it for years now with great success.
Wow - Never knew LAME worked in FCP - Learn something new everyday.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network